Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bug id please.

Bug on the bronze fennel flowers. Does anyone know what it is?

• Looks like an icheumon wasp

Ichneumon Wasp Gasteruption jaculator - Wildlife Photography

www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk

- 880 × 547 - More sizes

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Thanks , Daintiness. I would never have guessed it as a wasp. What I thought might be a sting is an ovipositor for laying eggs into caterpillars. Gruesome.

• Sorry fidgetbones, I meant to put the info as a link....in too much of a hurry as usual image

• addictaddict Posts: 659

Wow what a fantastic looking insect and a useful one!

• Beautiful picture Fidgetbones. My first guess is the same as Daintiness, as I think this is an Ichneumon Wasp. I've only ever seen one once before, so I can't really say they're common. They are very valuable natural predators, as their larvae eat garden pests. The female of some species lay their eggs inside other insects too. Sadly I'm no expert, so hopefully there's one out there who could give us more information about this striking insect.

What made me notice it was the way it was waving the tailbit(ovipositor)around. As far as I could see there was nothing for it to predate on on the fennel.

This year I have seen more  "new to my garden" insects than ever before....... But the bats are missing this year,  the foxes are shy this year, but the hedgehogs are back. We have solitary bees in the lawn, beeflies predating on them, tree bees in the bird boxes, bumble bees in the veg plot, rat tailed maggots(dronefly)in the comfrey feed. The ladybirds ate all the red and black aphids.

The squirrels are eating acorns and leaving the sweetcorn alone.image

Go into your settings (from your name at top right of screen)  no 2 upload a photo for your avatar.

• dunno what it is.. but when i clicked on it and it got even bigger.. i got the ebigbies.. whoah dont like it fidget..

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's harmless gf. If you're not one of the insects they use as an incubatorimage

In the sticks near Peterborough