London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
11 messages
19/09/2013 at 10:47

Is it just another con to get more money out of us what is the diffrence between john inning number 3 and bulb compost ??

James

19/09/2013 at 10:52

Bulb compost is mainly 'fibre' which will hold moisture well, with some charcoal to keep it smelling sweet.  Bulbs that are grown indoors and then discarded have little need of many nutrients (they've enough in the bulb for one year) so  for indoor hyacinths etc it's fine.

John Innes No 3 is a loam-based compost with the right sort of nutrients for a mature plant - not really needed for bulbs unless you're going to keep them in the same container for several years (perhaps underplanting a shrub for instance) and you want the bulbs to be able to build up each year to enable them to flower well the following year.

19/09/2013 at 11:00

so I was going to use number 3 with extra sand and place the bulbs on a layer of grit I don't intend to move the pot or bulbs for a year or two is this ok ??

should I get some general compost like  westlands 3 bags for £10 and at the sand and grit to it ??

James

19/09/2013 at 11:05

I'm going to use the compost from the tomatoes, with a handful of blood, fish , and bone to rejuvenate it.  When the bulbs die down next summer, the compost gets chucked around a shrub as mulch.

19/09/2013 at 11:41

Thank you Fidget 

just been and found a book on Gardening with containers I thought I had one some were ok 

Book says Allium free-draining loan based growing medium and lift and divide every three years so i'm off to buy some compost now westlands multi-compost and add a layer of grit and sand of the bulbs to sit on fill it up and add some blood, fish and bone to the top of the pot in November.

would you put a layer of grit on the top of pot to cut down on weeds and help keep the water in (big blue glazed terracota pots) 

James

19/09/2013 at 11:43

Fidget I used to just tip my old compost but this year i'm reformed I'm going to add it to my new compost bins (when I've made them) LOL

James

19/09/2013 at 11:55

If you're planning on leaving them in long term, a handful of that osmocote slow release pellet stuff would be good. Alliums would prefer a bit of grit, and so would lilies. Daffs  are fine in ordinary multipurpose stuff.

Think of where they come from and try to emulate those conditions.

Daffs grow in deciduos woodland, in humus rich leaf litter.

Tulips come from turkey etc and get baked well in the summer.

19/09/2013 at 13:56

CG- I always top dress pots with grit or gravel. They look better, they preserve moisture if it's sunny and it does prevent bits and pieces seeding in. 

19/09/2013 at 15:10

I've been using slate bits as top dressing, because the squirrels don't like it, but I still has aquilegias seeding into it. More freebies to pot on.

19/09/2013 at 21:01

Do you mean "bulb compost" or "bulb fibre"? The latter has little or nothing to feed a bulb for future growth. Bulb compost may just be repackaged ordinary compost with or without higher phosphorus to promote bulb growth.

23/09/2013 at 13:27

Ok I've planted my bulbs after a slight problem one of the dogs or even all of them dug up my newly sown bulbs and eaten them well two any way so I saved 4 out of 6 and bought some more as the pots are big and short 

I planted with stones in the base for drainage followed by screeded top soil added some grit and mixed in two more inches of top soil then I watered the soil as the top soil was quite dry I then added osmocote slow release pellets about a hand full after this I added 10cm of John Innings number three different Allium’s done just some grit to add and all finished I will have to look at relocate so the dogs will not eat them again.

James

email image
11 messages