London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
27/11/2013 at 23:16

Hi am new to the forum and like to say hi to all members  and looking for some tips buying 10x8 greenhouse for next season, i already have 8x6 but its just not big enough, i can see you all rolling your eyes at me now i know i should of bought a bigger greenhouse originally but i honestly didnt think i needed/wanted a bigger greenhouse until i fill my 8x6 in no time. I was originally after a 2nd hand 10 x 8 greenhouse  but they rarely advertised near me. now i leaning towards a new greenhouse but cant make my mind up on anything . I like a green coated one but the price it quite a bit more and double doors would be ideal , high eaves - toughed glass maybe, is it worth paying all the extra costs for my dream/affordable greenhouse. my budget was £200 at first but it just keeps raising. i been looking at Halls - elite - simplicity etc. Robinsons - Hercules greenhouse etc are a bit to expensive. I seen a few greenhouses on offers do you think they come down anymore in Dec - Jan?
Can you recommended a good company/website with affordable prices - greenhouse brand.
Help much appreciated

28/11/2013 at 10:25

Instead of going for a GH with high eaves, if the ground allows then dig down to give you the extra height. Should also help keep the GH regulate temperatures.

28/11/2013 at 11:38

I bought a Halls silver line lean-to, good greenhouse; awful instructions, they were like 6th generation photocopies; my builder and I went potty trying to understand them. Still waiting for door handle neary two years later!

28/11/2013 at 12:21

That's an interesting option Blairs i am not sure its possible for my greenhouse location. 

Hi artjak my 8x6 is a halls but bought 2nd hand so it came part built so it was relative easy to put back together,  but i have read else where halls and elite have poor instructions. 

01/12/2013 at 14:14

Hi i have decided on a Elite Belmont 10 x 8 greenhouse but unsure how much ventilation is needed. the greenhouse already has 2 roof vents and i will add automatic vent openers. The sides of the greenhouse are more a less sheltered from the wind/breeze so i don't know how much airflow a louver vent will provided. 

01/12/2013 at 16:13

Are you going to be there all the time to open the door each morning? I think I would still recommend louvres on the side opposite the door to get a good air flow on very hot days. (hard to imagine that at the moment!)

01/12/2013 at 17:11

ye i am normally around and about to open the door in the morning. Probably would be best to have a louver opposite the door it just the extra cost keep mounting up.  

01/12/2013 at 18:56

the cost do mount up perki. I know I spent 1.5 times the cost of the greenhouse on staging alone.

Have you looked on the greenhousepeople website?

01/12/2013 at 22:10

Hi zombie gardener yes i have looked on the greenhouse people website. I order a brochure off them which came with a tea which was a nice of them. They did have a Simplicity stableford greenhouse on offer what was tempting.

At the moment i am looking on elbec garden building website they have upto 25% off elite greenhouses

I am quite surprised how stressful it is looking for a greenhouse. My budget is ever extending itself. For example i like full sheet toughed glass but i don't really need it but it be wise to have it just in case, its the same with other stuff i just dont know what to do 

01/12/2013 at 23:20

last year I was lucky enough to get a nearly new custom built GH off someone who was moving house. The entire thing moved without a hitch except for the two triangular panes at either side of the eaves. Because they were relatively small panes and it was summer I left the panes empty, called it ventilation and told myself I had months to get replacement panes cut.  Of course, by winter I still hadn't done anything about replacing the glass and in a panic, knowing it was going to frost hard before I could get the glass cut, I went to a DIY store and bought a square plastic louvre wall vent, cut it into two triangles and, voila, ended up with some dirt cheap louvre venting. Which just goes to prove that procastinating can be a good thing...and even an expensive GH can be improved with a bit of cheap diy.  The louvre is a godsend really, even with four side vents the GH wouldn't get an airflow without the two 'accidental' end vents.

02/12/2013 at 18:24

ZombieG, I made my own staging in an afternoon, and even my builder was impressed! I think the treated timber from Wickes cost about £43. I really enjoyed doing it. (8' long with a shelf underneath; followed a chap on u-tube, but made it more sophisticated than he did) Hurrah for lady pensioners!

03/12/2013 at 03:35

artjak you are lucky to have been blessed with diy skills.That sounds perfect for the job, well done you.   I would no doubt end up in a&e with a lot of pain missing a finger.

Perki I have not heard of that website I will check them out. Is the budget now completely blown to bits? The January sales might have better deals.  

03/12/2013 at 06:51

Zombie WHAT time zone do you live in

post reply at 03.35

lol

james

03/12/2013 at 20:51

Hello i also made some of my staging, You can make it how you want then 

Yes Zombie gardener the budget has been smashed i gone past £1000 

I spoke to elite about powder coating how long it will last they said exceeding 25 years with the greenhouse very close to the house and everyone can see it, i probably go for a green powder coated greenhouse. 

11/01/2014 at 17:39

Well final i got my greenhouse erected , it arrived just before Christmas but due to the weather not had chance to do anything with it. I am thrilled to bits with it , its like my second home at the moment. It was a complete nightmare to build though, the instructions was appalling, but elite was very helpful when i rang them up. I just need to build some staging now and get some seeds sown. 

If anyone curious i saved over £200 buying in December instead of January 

11/01/2014 at 23:33

Good for you Perki, I really struggled with my GH during the build, had to take it down first and then rebuild it in a new home as it was second hand...but onward and upward...happy growing... 

27/08/2014 at 12:23

I bought a Simplicity Stableford 12x 8 with high eaves from the Greenhouse People.  I'm really pleased with it - 6'8" ridge, toughened glass, two louvers and 4 auto vents.  I spent the extra and got bar capping instead of using glazing clips cos my location is quite exposed.  Very sturdy when completed and TGP are a delight to deal with.

27/08/2014 at 21:13

Sounds great your Greenhouse GardenerWA have you recently bought it?

28/08/2014 at 15:04

I actually bought it a year ago but was having some landscaping done and wasn't sure where to site it.  I eventually got it all completed in July.  In my original post I made a mistake - the door height is 6'8", the ridge is 8' (or 2.5 metres if you're younger than me!)

28/08/2014 at 15:17

Very high ridge your GH has GardenerWA,  think mine only 1.6 metre or 5.4' if you old than me , better than my old GH though kept hitting my head on the roof.

Is your GH sheltered from the wind cause with the roof vents the wind keeps trying to snatch them. I only have my Autovent vent on one side now ( east facing ) and manual on the other. 

1 to 20 of 21 messages