Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Call for a parliamentary debate on gardening and horticulture

Lets not just be content with bemoaning the constant changes in the schedule to Gardeners World, lets call for a sensible debate in parliament about the benefits of gardening and horticulture - so policies from all departments, be it Health, Education and DEFRA all support gardening in the UK.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/129259

Don't bemoan MPs not taking horticulture seriously and then do nothing.... sign up and lets make the debate happen.

Spread the word.

• "Let there be something that politicians have no say in mucking up, please" The point is that politicians of course have a say, whether you like it or not so maybe lets make them well informed.

Who do you think decides whether horticulture is on the curriculum. Who do you think decides any form of obesity strategy, Who do you think decides what helps with dementia care.... and yet gardening can play a role in all these areas.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

I too have had dealings with local MPs and they just parrot the party line so getting any sort of debate on a subject that they haven't been programmed to discuss is almost impossible. I think you would have to direct any potential debate to one specific thing and "horticulture" is too vague, being a vast subject that covers many things. Should it come under education, for instance? I am all for schools getting children out of the classroom and into the great outdoors where they can study nature and the production of their food but it seems that our current "rulers"would rather they learnt parts of speech to the exclusion of all else.

pansyface has a point. Keep the ******* away from gardening or they will wreck that as well.

They might even decide to tax it.

• Having briefed on many parliamentary debates (and not for big business) yes you would have to focus - but you do know just saying keep away from gardening doesnt mean gardening isn't impacted. Who do you think decides the pollinators strategy? Who determines what weedkillers can and cannot be used. No engagement means no influence. If that's how you feel - thats OK. I feel the opposite... if we int influence yes things will get wrecked. Kids won't consider horticulture as a career. They won't know where veg comes from. They will never have an opportunity to grow their own. The department of health will not see green spaces and gardening as a method of exercise and also combating mental health. Yes maybe ots easier to do nothing and bemoan politicians. Or maybe stick your head above the parapet and lets do something about it. There is a saying we get the politicians we deserve. Don't try to influence them - then hey, expect poor laws and legislation.

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619

I think we all know the benefit of gardening; the problem is an unsustainable population that requires constant use of chemicals on crops and where all new-builds have a garden smaller than a shed.

We'd probably get more joy debating against capitalism!

• "They might even decide to tax it" - great example... They do. One of the many reasons 90 percent of cut flowers are imported which is shameful. Other countries have different tax regimes making for e.g. flowers from Holland far more attractive. Drive through Spalding and look at some of the derelict glass houses. 

• Good point Bob - you know the benefit of gardening. Not sure school kids will unless given the opportunity. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/129259

I am all for engaging with politics, its just that I have no confidence that the present lot are interested in anything but themselves. You mention pollinators, careers, veg production, and the possible disappearance of green spaces that benefit the population as a whole, and there we have the problem. This is not one subject but a many faceted thing that is the province of many different departments. Its something that needs to be tackled on many fronts. Once a victory is achieved it always seems that the government quietly tries to backtrack, such as the temporary lifting of the neonicotinoid ban. And now there are rumblings about glyphoste and cancer but as this forum shows, people are very divided on this issue and the need to ban the chemical.

Interesting.

• Not sure what your point is pansyface ... Im coming from the perspective of someone passionate about gardening who has 20yrs lobbying experience. Yep - thats me.

Ceres - yes thats the point - its cross department - and decisions made often aren't. They are made in silos. People are often divides. That's why debates can be helpful.

Debates don't solve everything. Not having discussions and debates certainly never solve anything.