Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can anyone identify these worms?

After watching Tony Buckland on the Great British Garden Revival programme I was inspired to make a herb pot. I duly retrieved a large ceramic pot from a corner of my garden and found lots of slugs and snails hibernating in the sludgy base of the pot. There were also masses of tiny creamy white thread worms. I did not what to dispose the sludge on my garden as I didn't know what they were. Does anyone have any ideas as to what they might be? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

are they in water or soil daydaisy and have you a photo?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

unfortunately I didn't take a photo of them and just disposed of them along with the snails and slugs on the field opposite my house, they were in the sludgy damp soil that had accumulated at the bottom of the pot and also around the drier sides. There were two huge wood lice there also and I wondered if they had anything to do with them?

I would need to see them. I'm no expert. I can tell worm from insect larva but that's about as far as it goes

Not the woodlice, they don't have a stage like that.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Googling suggests that they might be fungus gnat larvae - google for images of them and see what you think. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I was imagining them to be a bit bigger than that, (threadworm size)

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Daisy, they may be parasitic worms which occur naturally in the soil. google white thread worms in soil and have a look at images this may give you the answer.

What are they parasitic on Dave?

• DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

I have googled extensively and really cannot positively identify these tiny worms. The nearest possibility seems to be wire worms which are the larva of the click beetle, though why they should end up in my terracotta plant pot I don't know. Anyway I'm glad I didn't put them on the garden just in case! image

• Beetles are gardeners' friends.