Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can anyone identify this plant for me?

DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

This appears to have seeded itself from an adjoining garden which is unlived in at present. The leaves are serrated and the parent plant is about two feet tall or 61cm. Does anyone know what it is?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I think it might be a Rowan tree sapling.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It looks a bit anaemic whatever it is

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

Yes nutcutlet it doesn't look too healthy does It! I might move it from the neglected area beside my shed if I can find out what it is. I have a Rowan tree so I thought it might be a sapling, however my tree has thirteen leaves to each twig or panicle and the sapling has fifteen. There is a larger plant just like it next door but the owner has died so there is no one to ask. Looks like I shall just have to wait and see image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

In the sticks near Peterborough

Thanks for the info nut, that's interesting.

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102

Looks fern like to me 

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

Could it be a Sumac?

I hope it is a Sumac though goodness knows where I'd put it.

• Judith 5Judith 5 Posts: 108

Could it be this.

Sorry, don't know what it is though! I got them from a friend. These are about 3 yrs old and only about 8 inches tall. They send out runners. They're usually yellow but colour up nicely at this time of year.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

It does look a little like a young Sambucus nigra 'Aurea' - which is Judith 5's picture. I have one in my garden which does sucker but its so pretty I'm happy to supply family and friends with the suckers.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable