Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 24 replies

star gaze lily

Sorry, ipad playing up downloading pics.

Could anyone identify,  the larger green fir in the picture please.

Many thanks

pendulous larch ?

Advertisement

star gaze lily

Thank you fidget and ezageeza, I'll google both.

star gaze lily

Erm, I don't think it is, unless the owner has cut right back. This looks more shrub like.

Topbird

SGL - can I suggest you look at Cedrus - specifically Cedrus Deodara Waverly Ridge and Cedrus Deodara Pendula.

Lots of Google links seem to take you to pictures of trees but, if you keep looking, there are a few pics of smaller specimens.

I mentioned on your other thread that I had seem a similar shrub but a more yellow colour - I think this might be Waverly Ridge. Am going to try to post a Pinterest link now (wish me luck!) which shows one of these grown as a small standard. I thought the leaf form looked right....

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/265149496782339471/

star gaze lily

Ooh sorry Topbird, only just seen this.

I'll look up waverley ridge and also click on the link above.  Many thanks

Hostafan1

I'd go with some form of Cedrus Deodara

star gaze lily

Clicked on the above, and it looks familiar.  Slightly yellower. 

Also googled waverley ridge, unfortunately most sites haven't any images. One did and was the same pic as on pinterest. But I will keep looking. Many thanks Topbird.

Did pop to a GC earlier, but they didn't know either 

Pat E

It's always hard to tell from a photo, but the weeping foliage reminds me of our Cupressus cashmeriana.  Then again, Chamaecyparis lawsoniana is also a bit weeping.  You might do well to search on line for weeping conifers. At least you can compare it with your live specimen.  Hope I haven't led you astray.

Pat E

SGLiky. On second thoughts, it's definitely NOT cashmireana.  I re-looked at ours and it's nothing like the photo.

Advertisement

1Runnybeak1

SGL.  Could this be it.?   It's a very young plant .  I don't have it anymore my next door neighbour had it for her son along with the large Agave that was dug up yesterday.   I still don't know what it is though.  Sorry. 

Pat E

That new photo looks like a Deodar and the colour looks similar, but one thing to note is that Deodars are sharp and prickly, more than most conifers.  Is yours like that?

star gaze lily

Could be RB, not sure.

Doesn't look prickly Pat, its not in my garden. Its round the corner from me. Can't ask the people who live there as it was there before they moved in 2yrs ago 

1Runnybeak1

PATE.   The little plant in the pot WAS mine and yes, it's prickly.  I think it's quite pale because it's a young plant.   There is another huge specimen outside an Italian restaurant nearby, I'll ask in there too. 

TOPBIRD.  I looked at Cedrus too, but there are so many, but there are a couple it could be. 

Topbird

RB - I think the one I've seen in our village could be Cedrus Deodara Waverly Ridge because it is paler and more yellow than other cedrus varieties.

If I see the owners I will ask if they know but I suspect they have inherited it. It is a good looking shrub - and that from one who is none too keen on conifers