Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can anyone name this plant?

Hi everyone,

I saved some bright orange berries from an unusual plant from the old garden that we did a new build on, put them in a pot of garden soil and re-potted it this spring into a larger pot. This then grew into a 3-4ft 'Triffid'!! In June the most amazing bloom appeared, about 18-24" high, lily cone shaped deep purple with a central deeper purple 'pod'. It smelt awful!! The bloom only lasted a few days then dropped I think under its own weight.The 'pod' has now split showing the berries like sweetcorn. The stem is very light green with darker green leopard skin effect and the leaves are light green with white streaks and each one grows singularly off the stem with spread 'fingers' (Not sure what the correct term is). Any ideas?? Not sure how to add a photo as new at this.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi PC, welcome

A guess would be Dracunculus vulgaris but that is just a guess

To add a photo click on the tree 2nd right in the tool bar and work from there.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thanks Nutcutlet, That is pretty obvious I just didn't check the toolbar above properly. I was looking for a 'paperclip' sign.

I will look up Dracunculus Vulgaris as I need to now put this down the end of the garden because of the smell and not sure if it will tolerate shade.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It will tolerate some shade. I find hot and dry is too much for it

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thanks Nutcutlet, Problem solved as just looked up Dracunculus Vulgaris on web. Your guess was correct and perfect for my semi-shaded area I am trying to fill up with the 'old cottage garden' type plants. I have saved quite a few of the plants from what was the old cottage garden to try not to loose what it once was.