Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can I repot my Acer now?

Hi

I have a very large and beautiful acer in a pot that's too small. This summer the plant has really struggled so I've invested in a new larger 3/4 barrel. Can I move the acer to its new home now or do I have to wait for the spring as advised in the September issue? I really don't want to loose it; I want to give it the right soil and conditions, which it currently doesn't have.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

if it's in a pot now and you put it in a bigger pot with the right compost I can't see what it could complain about

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I would suggest doing it whilst its dormant in Late Winter, February is probably best. This is when I intend to do mine image

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hi sarah, we have a thread running about Acer's and one that's not doing well, but it also discusses conditions and compost etc...I'd check it out..like Nut I can't see an Acer in a pot suffering from transplanting, but, it isn't likely to grow much in the winter so why not wait?

• Thanks that's really helpful. I'll check out the thread first and then decide. I'm cross actually because someone who was very convincing made me cut a tall section off at the end of the summer. He siad it was struggling and then I read that it was the wrong thing to do, it just needed more room for water and better soil. So now I really want to do what's right by it!

• I bought one in November last year. It was Acer Palmatum but I don't know more than that. It was in a 2ltr pot and I planted it within a week of getting it, into a good sized 4ltr pot with some home made leaf mould added to the compost. It has done great and settled into it's new home well.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I would say wait till Feb. Acers are prone to drowning by overpotting, so doing now as we go into winter is not a good idea.