London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
04/03/2014 at 17:29

Stumbled across this lovely smelling plant/shrub but didn't know what it was!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38866.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

04/03/2014 at 17:32

One of the Daphnes. odora or bholuaor probably. Lovely

04/03/2014 at 17:34

Oh I read about daphnes recently and have never seen one....thats great news thanks a lot  

04/03/2014 at 17:36

Yep I agree Daphne, they smell gorgeous.  Thats the one i've been looking for for my garden

04/03/2014 at 18:08

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38868.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

Daphne 'Jacqueline Postill', the same as mine here, I should think...

04/03/2014 at 18:15

Paul..........lucky you.............the number of flowers

I have a very neglected Daphne..........variegated leaves...........but only a few flowers. Scent is wonderful tho...........well worth a place in any garden

04/03/2014 at 19:09

A friend of mine moved house last Autumn and told me I could take what I wanted from her old garden.

Against all the rules about not moving Daphne, I did and it's coming along a treat with lots of new growth starting.

04/03/2014 at 19:58

I have bittersweet memories of daphne because my parents and I used to go to Wakehurst Place every spring to breathe it in.  My mum tried to pinch a bit off and grow it as a cutting, but it didn't work, so I bought them a plant which grew in the front garden for several years, enchanting passers by with its scent.  But one year it gave up, for no discernible reason.  I have lost both my parents now, but I bought a daphne last year, and it seems to be doing okay, and I need to find a permanent place for it (currently in a pot).  So it feels like a plant which has been 'passed down' and there is something lovely about a plant which is at its peak when so little else is showing in the garden.  Treasure it because it is a slow grower and you are blessed to have it doing so well - it is quite picky!!

04/03/2014 at 20:14

How true Busy Bee! And when you have a scented plant, associated memories seem stronger don't they? I have a Daphne Aureomarginata in my front garden. It's covered in flowers this year and the other weekend, when it was a breezy day, the gorgeous perfume was blowing down the street. I could see passers by sniffing appreciatively. You can't find that smell in a bottle.

04/03/2014 at 21:01

I had/have Daphne odora Aureomarginata and it really did not like being in a damp border so I put it in a large pot and last spotted it last summer...this post reminded me of it and where it is. Certainly not flowering or giving me scent!

04/03/2014 at 22:00

I love mine (Jackie P - like Salinos).  The scent is not sickly, but so powerful.  It normally starts flowering in the Christmas holidays and is still going in April - what a plant

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38887.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

04/03/2014 at 22:30

..I'm a bit relieved to see some leaf yellowing in both chicky's above and Paul Anderson's at the top... as it is in mine too... I was wondering if something might be wrong, but maybe it's just a characteristic of the plant at this time of year.... my soil is neutral...

04/03/2014 at 22:35

We are very acid - but it always loses a few leaves at this time of year - makes room for the new ones coming after the flowers

04/03/2014 at 23:05
Have enjoyed reading everyone's comments, thank you to you all
05/03/2014 at 09:07

Actually folks, while we're on the topic of daphne, please could those of you who are growing it successfully tell me something about the conditions before I plant mine out?  ie. soil pH and type, position in relation to sun and other plants.  I need to do a soil test here, but I suspect it may be alkaline if anything.  Very free draining.  So maybe I should bulk up with organic matter, and maybe ericaceous?  What do you guys think?

05/03/2014 at 09:14
BB2 - i can only tell you where mine is - i didn't plant ityself, it was here when we came - but it is thriving. It is in acid soil, woodland edge, so partial shade. Rhs website gives more details - but i know it resents pruning, so try and pick somewhere where you won't need to cut it back. Also nice to have it somewhere you walk past lots in the winter, so you get a blast of the perfume every day
05/03/2014 at 09:21

I don't think it needs ericaceous but a bit of light and leafy and not exposed to full sun or wind. The one I visit regularly has all this and is enormous in a fairly short time

05/03/2014 at 09:25

Thanks - it is looking like the raised beds in the garden then, where is it sheltered and I can keep an eye on it and enjoy the scent!

05/03/2014 at 13:39

So that's what the poor, sickly looking this is trying to do its best to be gorgeous being covered over and strangled almost by the cherry laurel tree that makes up my property border. It had the most beautiful flowers last year that I noticed by accident whilst working on cutting back the tree line. Just heavenly but I didnt have a clue what it was. I hope it flowers again this year but I noticed the other day when I was cutting back some ill looking cherry laurel that it looks very, very poorly indeed, the leaves are all mottled and brown. Can anyone let me know what's best to do? Just rid it of all unhealthy looking leaves and hope it recovers? Bearing in mind that the tree guy came recently and cut the tree line back rather too severely if you ask me and so a lot of this plant became a casualty. What's left is quite difficult to get to and I don't know where it starts and ends because of all the trees.

05/03/2014 at 13:46

Difficult one Heather. I think I'd clear around and give it space for a start. Don't overdo any feeding, the shock might finish it off. A nice composty mulch to see it through the summer perhaps

1 to 20 of 21 messages