Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

This shrub is in my front garden it about 7ft tall topped, but i think it could go bigger, its very dence and bushy & has a red bark. It was here when I moved in, It's my favourite shrub/ hedge in the front, but unfortunately when I have the drive made wider, this is the first thing to go as it's next to the gate post.

I would really like to get cuttings from it, if anyone knows the best time to do this that would be great.

Thanks Dove, Very good info, RHS say's it can reach 23ft and I can belive it.! I like the idea of doing topiary on it. I have always wanted to have a go. But then again it is at the front

I will have to get cutting's next year, I would love a row of these as a hedge.

There's a recent thread on taking cuttings from bay somewhere - I've taken successful heeled cuttings of semi-ripe wood - but I've found the most successful method of propagation is to dig up and plant on the little suckers that usually appear at the roots. 

Zombie I have just had my Bay cut down as it was getting too big. I've got three lovely cuttings from it growing on strongly and I intend to grow one in a pot for the front garden. They are really easy to get going if you take cuttings in the summer.