London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
20/08/2014 at 20:34

I've just been out to water Toms, Beans and lettuce. I felt a distinct chill on my cheeks (face cheeks) all is quiet and there are lots of Canada Geese going home. Flocks of them flying from NNW to SSW according to my Mariners Compass. Beautiful sight cos they were quite low flying, but also a little sad as it's saying goodbye to Summer. 

PS. Don't be sad chaps and chapesses I've promised an Indian Summer. 

20/08/2014 at 20:47

We have resident populations of Canada geese in the UK who don't migrate, we also have several sub species who do migrate. I'd be more guided by swallows martins and swifts who are still flying about freely and feeding. When they gather on the telephone wires then autumn is really coming.

20/08/2014 at 21:04

On one hand I'm sad to see the end of summer, but I've learnt so much this  year that I'm now looking forward to and preparing for next summer which is exciting.  This time last year I didn't do that as I didn't have as much space for plants in the garden (where it was lawn and is now borders) and I didn't have my GH. 

It makes me realise how much can change in a year  and now I am relishing the changing seasons 

20/08/2014 at 21:17

We might have a resident population of Canade Geese but at least 100 have left the lake in the park by me flying overhead in very loud formations and it feels very much like summer is over.

20/08/2014 at 22:11

Funny you should say that, I haven't seen any swallows for a few days,maybe they've legged it as well.

21/08/2014 at 00:06
The Canada geese are flying now because they have finished moulting and growing new feathers.

We have some house martins among the swallows which use the wires as a staging post before they fly off to Africa. I love to hear them chatting away!
21/08/2014 at 06:24

Our swifts have gone, but I saw plenty of swallows and martins the other day. 

Since we moved here I know that winter is on it's way when small flocks of Whooper swans fly over heading for their preferred overwintering sites - I presume they're heading for Welney - they're heading in that direction when they go over here.

21/08/2014 at 07:30

I noticed the swifts went a week earlier than last year so thought that could be a sign that the lovely hot weather wasn't going to last that much longer.  We had condensation along the bottom of the windows this morning so it must have been cold in the night.

21/08/2014 at 07:56
It is sad to see the end of summer, especially as i dont do cold well, but its always nice to see the seasons turn, like OL, i enjoy the planning for the coming year, i find the vagueries of each year interesting, am looking forward to bonfires and a little drop of summat to keep the cold out
21/08/2014 at 08:13

A couple of weeks ago I saw dozens of swallows at the end of the road all swooping around wildly and very near the ground - I've never seen anything like that before.  It had suddenly turned very cold  here so perhaps they were getting very confused. I was in the car and sat for a minute or two watching them. They looked quite disorientated. 

21/08/2014 at 08:15

They'll have been after a swarm of insects Fg - possibly flying ants - it was about then that lots of ants were swarming wasn't it. 

We used to get them doing that over the farm pond, and the muck heap - anywhere there's lots of insects - a fabulous sight 

21/08/2014 at 08:25

Swallows are definitely gathering, they are still feeding 5cms above the grass and look like fighter jets, fab to watch. The first geese have passed, the dogs gaze longingly praying for just one to fall out the sky. I just don't understand how they are so noisy! You would think they had to conserve energy?

21/08/2014 at 08:43
I saw a squirrel in the garden for the first time in years yesterday and when i was walking the dog saw a fox on the other side of the canal, odd things, mayne its due to the cooler weather? Also saw some very tiny moorhen chicks, probably only a day old, lets hope it dosent get any cooler or i dont think they will do well!
21/08/2014 at 09:07

Still got second brood of house martins in the nest.  Just starting to poke their heads out, but guess they won't be fledging for at least another week.

21/08/2014 at 09:22
Thats good to hear Mel, amazing little birds
21/08/2014 at 12:25

We've lost some of our Canada Geese near us, however they've not migrated.........

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/fury-60-canada-geese-killed-7394938

21/08/2014 at 12:29

OMG Bubba, words escape me that wouldn't get me banned from the forum, that is disgusting!!!! I'm surprised they haven't had a back lash from animal rights campaigners 

21/08/2014 at 12:40

The thing is though UU couldn't have re-homed them as according to DEFRA and the EA they are classed as non-native and invasive species. I can see why they did it but it really makes me sad because they were defenseless animals.

21/08/2014 at 12:46

Exactly Bubba, people expect animals/birds to behave in a certain way like they are pet's.....they forget they are animals with natural instincts 

21/08/2014 at 13:01

I always  loved watching them swooping and dive bombing for insects over the pond at my last house Dove - their timing's fabulous isn't it? Hours of entertainment. This just seemed different, and slightly odd. It was at the junction of two roads so it must have been a swarm of insects they had found somewhere on or very near the road.   

The ones that come back every year where I work are very busy just now - unfortunately the cars are all under the flightpath... 

1 to 20 of 22 messages