London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
6 messages
30/07/2013 at 13:18

Growing cannellini beans for the first time this year.  At the moment they are the size of a french bean, is it possible to eat them fresh, like french beans, or must I wait until they mature and just eat the beans?

30/07/2013 at 15:19

I don't know, but I'm giving your post a little shove uphill so that someone who does know can tell you.

31/07/2013 at 00:38

Hi, did it not tell you on the packet of seeds?

I'm growing Hyacinth beans and Californian Black Eye Cowpea both can be grown and dried on the plant but can also be cooked and eaten as young pods according to the seed packet.

Sorry can't help with cannellini beans but if they are similar to the above you are doing very well to have pods mine aren't in flower yet  

31/07/2013 at 19:32

I was given the plants so didn't see a packet, everywhere I've looked it just talks about using just the beans.  Well tonight we had some for tea, sliced like runners, very tasty, will keep eating them fresh but save some to mature to harvest the beans.  They've grown really well up here in the Yorkshire Dales at 900 ft.

31/07/2013 at 19:40

If mine don't get a move on I'll try cannellini next year, if they can grow in Yorkshire there's hope here in Lancashire.  

31/07/2013 at 21:17

Hi Patsy2

I also have searched the net for cannellini beans and have found little.

On the Franchi (seeds of Italy) site there is a picture of a cannellini seed packet on which it says 'Dwarf French Bean', which would imply the pods are edible.

But I have also discovered that the cannellini is a close relative of the kidney bean and requires the same treatment in cooking, that is, it must be boiled for ten minutes to remove some kind of toxin. Even the fresh shelled bean needs a ten minute boil apparently; this leads me to believe that the pods are not normally eaten.

So I would urge caution; ditch the pods and boil the beans well before adding them to your favourite recipe.

I doubt if a single helping of fresh beans will cause problems, but don't tempt fate. Eat well but eat safely!

email image
6 messages