Start a new thread

1 to 14 of 14 replies

I am one of many who have had problems with neighbours' cats using the garden as a toilet. Putting thorny twigs in mulched areas has done the trick. Recently got back fom holiday and was angered to find thet cat was using the footpaths in the garden, it was obviously not from a Dog. Since then have wondered if a fox could be responsible, does anyone know how to distiguish Cat and Fox poo?

pansyface

FOX POOP IS OFTEN SIMILAR TO CAT POOP. IT SMELLS WORSE THOUGH. IT OFTEN CONTAINS IDENTIFIABLE BITS OF STUFF WHICH CAT POOP DOESN'T AND IT SOMETIMES HAS A TWIST AT ONE END. NO IDEA HOW THE FOX ACHIEVES THIS TWIST.

Fairygirl

Invicta - I'm totally demented with cats here. They s*** everywhere including the grass. I've tried everything but nothing stops them from getting in completely.  I've just invested in one of those water scarers now that I have an outside tap for a hose,  and I can't tell you how brilliant it is. Would thoroughly recommend it. 

Cats poo in my garden annoys me soo much, even more so when it's near or next to edible plants. Since we have a dog I'm probably a bit bias, but I can't understand how it's ok that people's pets are allowed to poo where they like and I have to clean up after them! 

michael mpc

hi     to above  cat poo is not like fox you will find fox has a musky scent and the fox would do it poo on a higher point not  on flat ground  

Advertisement

I'm afraid I have two cats - sorry - and they definitely would hate to get wet.  In fact they're quite nervous so shouting at them would probably frighten them off.

it's probably a fox. i have terrible problems all over my garden. the poo absolutely stinks and it's really, really attractive to dogs !!! when they roll in it -- OMG you need to run for cover as you can smell it for miles !!!

they poo on the patio slabs, on the steps, on the path as well as the grass, it's so annoying, I am forever having to hose down places where they've been !!! they've also dug up my lily bulbs earlier in the year that are in pots as well, wish they weren't so damned clever then I could keep them out of my garden for ever  

if you find a  little twister at the end then its fox poop

fox poo is very dark in colour almost black. hope this helps?

Thanks for the replies. Yes the poo looked darker than usual cat poo, did not put my nose anywhere near so unaware of any smell. Trouble with water pistols is that I have never caught any cat in flagrante and I don't want to squirt the wrong one. If it  is a fox [seen them a few times on nearby roads in the evening I need to replace the gate to the back garden from the drive.

All the foxes we have had poo in our gardens, it has been black sticky and a very distinctive horrible smell, seem to have dogs that like to roll in it.  Cats (the pets I have had and the ones that visit the veg plot) tends to be "shaped" usually buried, you find it when you weed etc.

Wayside

I find cat poo stinks to high heaven, and it's pretty identifiable that way.  Perhaps the foxes have a better diet around these parts.  I've seen fox poo that almost looks like goose poo, really green.

Cat poo seems to smell worse once you have moved it, and exposed the "inside" to the air so to speak, mind you dont think dog poo is any better!  I cut our grass, go round it like a minesweeper, our Border collies are of course easy to spot, but our toy, not so easy, I managed to miss 2, OH found them in his BRAND NEW trainers, unable to print what he said!

Luna our BC is perfectly happy to help "dispose" of cat poo for us!!!!!