Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

cat-problems-

There is currently a petition to DEFRA demanding a change in the law to make cat owners take responsibility for their pets (and their pet's faeces) I fully support this petition and urge you to do the same.  No, it probably won't have any immediate effect and yes, it would be very difficult to ensure that cat owners take more responsibility.  But things do change.  And seeds have to be planted to begin the implementation of change.  Should cat owners be subject to the same or similar laws to dog-owners then the cats themselves will have greater protection from un-caring owners. (many cat owners feel they are simply able to go on holiday and leave their cat un-cared for - this is cruel and very distressing for any animal however much a 'free spirit' they are - I hope that with a future change in the law this would be prevented)  Laws and attitudes DO change.  Children used to work mills and factories and women didn't used to be able to vote.  The earth used to be viewed as flat.  Worldwide the cat population is exploding.  We need a change in the law.  Maybe not right now, but we definitely soon will.  Sow some seeds of change now.  Protect your gardens AND protect cats.  Please sign the petition.  

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/defra-department-for-environment-food-rural-affairs-make-cat-owners-responsible-for-their-pets?share_id=njyImujRzM&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

That'll be the day mate! People who leave their cats without getting someone to look after them when they go on holiday can already be had for cruelty to animals. What do you suggest, that you keep a cat locked up in the house? Tie them to a lead, or what? Don't be b***dy ridiculous!image

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,269

Speaking as one who has actually gone out there and bought two cats from a rescue centre (and believe me, they aren't cheap to buy) I feel that I can speak with just a little knowledge on the matter of cats and their owners.

Some people buy or are given a kitten and then find that it needs daily care and maintenance, it doesn't like loud noises and reacts badly to them and it wants to do what cats do such as scratch  furniture and generally not be the little dolly/plaything that they wanted. So they chuck it out or they torture it for fun or in retaliation for it acting like a cat or they move house and leave it locked up to die of starvation and thirst.

It's not cats that are the problem, it's people.

You can campaign for laws against this or against that, but in the end you are dealing with idiots and there isn't a law written yet that can make an idiot into a responsible intelligent human being.

• lynnootlynnoot Posts: 7

I understand that in some states in Australia cats are not allowed out of their own garden.  Not sure how they are kept in though.

55 million birds a year are killed by cats.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I feel everyone should take responsibility for their own actions. If that action is acquiring a cat they should think about the effect it has on other people and the balance of nature.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • lynnoot wrote (see)

55 million birds a year are killed by cats.

I doubt very much that is true and can be proved-evidence please with facts.

A lot of worms are killed by birds-shall we protect the worm?

And The Little Baker-stupid and silly idea-Justin Hopkins came on here weeks ago and was laughed at -you are either him or his mate-his idea was to take them for walks on leads

I think The Govt has better things to do that worry about cats messing in gardens.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Have you ever tried to train a cat to do anything in a place or when it doesn't want to. Not as compliant as a dogimage

• when i had cats.. i kept an area of my flower beds empty and bare.. dug it over regularlary and my cats always used it.. as did othersimage.. but mine never went anywhere else.. as it was soft and easy for them dig..

so maybe other cat owners could do the same..

• It's reminds me of that petition on the dowing street website, calling on John Prescott to ware a silver star shaped badge at all time's with the words Deputy on it. When he was Deputy.

LittleBaker I think that  petition will go nowhere.  To be honest I do not want my tax's spent on policing cat owners. I think the Police have more important things to do.

• The nutters are back in town-Justin what happened? -we never heard- did the cats get you?

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/feline-invadersaka-cats/86372.html

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

some cats know there onions .