Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

caterpillars-nightmare-

Ging2Ging2 Posts: 44

I thought I was safe with a net but the cabbage white managed to lay her eggs on my brussels I need to get rid quick ... they have eaten all of the brocolli and very few shoots left.  Any quick ideas please thank you June

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

get in there and pick them off. throw them on the lawn for the birds

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Ging2Ging2 Posts: 44

Great help folks on caterpillar watch today... birdies feast.

Broccoli look sad but hopefully will recover

Only my first proper year on the veg garden .... Im testing out whats good to grow and whats not ... think I need to be looking at protecting more the less hardy or going for more desease resistant plants.  I see some of these allotments with all lovely veg and no protection I was quite disappointed the cabbage white manage to get at the brussels and kurly kale.  Any hints on protecting more would be good.  Thank you my gardening buddies x

Thanks folks there were lots to take off ... Ive planted natursiums close by they seem to attract cabbage white more have I caused a bigger problem by planting them so close to my brassicas ??? Sorry I feel a bit needy lately image x 

• yes they love natursiums,they ate all mine.imageimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

You can be needy here Ging2. Sometimes it seems they're all out to get you doesn't itimage

In the sticks near Peterborough

thanks folks ive just seen someone plant them at least 2 metres away but I think I might plant them more then that next year perhaps in pots and 5-6 metres away more like.  Theyve crept from the natusiums onto other brassicas slipping through the net when they are tiny caterpillers grrrrr  little blighters

Thank you all