Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cats

Just worked a few hours in the garden. Nice weather not to hot. The neighbors cats are lurking i the bushes  waiting when the can use my just raked borders as their toilet. I'am pretty sure tomorrow cats droppings are all over the place. Sometimes the newly planted little plants are scratched out because they could't find the perfect  place to s**t.

I don't like cats. And happily my dogs neighter

And my neighbors are as much appreciated as their cats for obvious reasons. Keep yours cats in your own garden.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,472

Sprinkle holly or pyracantha or Cerberus clippings. If none available poke short sticks at irregular intervals into soil. Make sure it's random so they can't walk in a straight line.(this one will only work for a small patch)

First option best for real schadenfreude experience!

In London. Keen but lazy.

Berberis (predictive text!)

I'll have to look that one up

Looks like he'd keep burglars out too!

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

Wooden BBQ squewers sticking out the ground seem to be working in my garden , and lying in wait with a water pistol.  Only 1 cat poo in 2 weeks and I caught it in the act and skooshed it with the water, so I'm hoping it got the message and will find a new toilet.  Drives me mad....I always pick up my dogs mess,  get so annoyed that cats can just poo anywhere and the owners are not responsible for it.  

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

There is a product called "Move It" that is a powder that you sprinkle over the soil.  It smells pleasantly of citrus, and it really does deter cats.  The downside is that you have to re-apply it from time to time - especially after rain!

It's available at Poundland (guess the price image) or from the Betterware catalogue (price £3.99).

• neznez Posts: 15

Teabags soaked in Jeyes fluid does the trick

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rinus KRinus K Posts: 67

Oh yes, barking dogs is also such an annoyance. My other neighbor accross the street have a huge farm. So he start very early in de morning milking his cows but first he let the dog out in his garden. So does the farmers wife around 12 at night or even later.Their dog has a very schrill ( is that the right word??) nasty bark. They don't matter and do not correct the dog at all. Every time I hear that monster I start winding me up. And it barks while there is nothing to bark for!!!!!

If one dogs start to bark all other dogs in the area will follow in no time.

My two dogs hardly bark because I don't want them to annoy other people in the street. Unfortunately others don't mind their animals ( cats and dogs) to annoy me.

Why do I have to suffer from their pets??image

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

All the suggest solutions may work for small areas, but I have trouble with them leaving their calling cards on the lawns and in the borders.  Over 200' of border and 250 square yards of lawn is difficult to protect.  I would love to put an electric fence along the top of the timber one.  That would at least keep them out of the back garden.