London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
13/01/2014 at 23:53

Woodgreen wonderboy the cold has gone for now it was plus 8 today,we have about a week of mild weather coming up.

Bill

13/01/2014 at 23:54

Is there any flooding.... that's the problem here. 

14/01/2014 at 00:00

re dahlias, and specifically bishops and their children, I once had a chat with Fergus Garrett, of Great Dixter fame ( Christo Lloyd's head gardener, friend and carer),about why Bishops didn't build bigger tubers and succeed better. He pointed out that this variety of tuber, which looks like long thin fingers, don't bulk up as much in the ground. His trick is to plant them in pots for the first few years, where the constriction encourages tuber growth. After a few years you have good strong tubers to plant out.

14/01/2014 at 00:04

The rivers are up but no flooding,in fact the only flooding we get that disrupts the city is our underpasses.All our rivers are in deep valleys and nobody is allowed to build in the valleys.

Bill

14/01/2014 at 10:41

Thanks for that info WW, although they weren't Bishops etc I grew some spare tubers in large pots last year and the tubers were much larger than the equivalent in the ground, as I said in an earlier post I could feed a family of four with one of them haha. Of course it gives me the problem this year of even more tubers. 

14/01/2014 at 15:37

Yes, definitely Wilkies - I've had lots of success with mine, and they're so cheap.  However, I think I'll try sowing from seed this year, as recommended by you experts above. Thank you. (I prefer the single flowers, as they attract the bees.)

14/01/2014 at 20:34

I grew a Sir Alf  Ramsey dahlia last year in a pot, boy was it big, the stem must have been an inch thick, made the other dahlia's in the garden look every so insignificant.

If it gets through the winter, stored, was going to plant it in the garden this year.

18/01/2014 at 21:09

Well I got exactly what I wanted from B&M's only 2 pound a tuber and also got a couple from Homebase. Has buy 2 get 1 free offer so worked out just over 2 pound a tuber in there too.

19/01/2014 at 10:41

Price is not really the issue here.There's nothing wrong with cheap tubers. Just try to choose the plumpest ones ( not dry shrivelled ones) and hope that they have growth "eyes",which are the points from which the shoots emerge. You can sometimes see them ( little buds in the joints of the tuber/stems.) Sometimes they are there but you can't see them because they are beneath the surface, and will appear later. If there are no eyes , no matter how plump is the tuber, they might as well go on the compost heap. Even expensive tubers can be eyeless.

19/01/2014 at 12:11

Don't worry had a good rummage to pick the best tubers. They had just been put out so I had a good choice

email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages