London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
7 messages
29/07/2014 at 19:56

I have several sedums...I experimented the 'chelsea chop' on half the sedums. To date the ones that had the 'chelsea chop' are compact and the flower heads are more upright and the plants don't seem to 'topple' over. The other half are tall and need staking because of the height!! So I'm happy to repeat the chop again next year.

I also 'chelsea chop'  my phloxes. They don't look happy!! Not too many flower heads. Should I have done the chop on these? Your opinions greatly welcomed.

29/07/2014 at 20:00

Well you ll soon find out! I do  the chop and it works for most things and tidies things up, I am sure they will be fine.

29/07/2014 at 20:02

Tks for your prompt reply.

29/07/2014 at 20:55

You need to evaluate your plants.....basically many late flowering perennials benefit from being cut back......sedums and heleniums are good examples.  But timing is important....too late and growth will be poor. Done early June and strong sturdy, albeit later flowers, will result.   However, asters like frikartii Monch, rudbekias, anemones, dahlias and phlox then, no.  Plants like argyranthemums, dianthus, campanulas, violas, etc., benefit from late "Chelsea  chop" being sheared back right now to re energise flowering from early/mid August through to autumn.  

Have fun though .....it may seem a shame to hack floriferous cosmos back but lightly sheared of all buds will quickly produce masses of buds quickly.  

01/08/2014 at 10:03

Tks Verdun... no chelsea chop on my phlox next year.

01/08/2014 at 21:48

i had  very sad and floppy sedum a year or two ago... divided, and now have 6 or 7 vigorous sedums!

geranium seem to respond really well to Chelsea/ june/ even early July chop!

01/08/2014 at 21:53

Ooh I did not know about Cosmos. I will chop some early in the morning then the rain (please!) will revive them. Thanks Verdun. Again!

email image
7 messages