London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 41 messages
20/05/2014 at 21:38

Would love to go some day, but loving the coverage on the box.  Does anyone know why Monty has gone all Charlie Chapin!? 

20/05/2014 at 21:39

He has hurt his leg. Not sure how, but he did talk about it in one of the shows.

20/05/2014 at 21:41

Was it Alan T? Not happy at being dropped!?

20/05/2014 at 21:44

Was Alan really dropped or did he not do it due to doing a garden this year?

20/05/2014 at 21:44

Tee hee hee! I love that idea, big scrap round the back or the show marque. Or do you think it was a surreptitious foot out trip, done on the sneaky?

20/05/2014 at 21:52

I understood that AT walked - it had been planned that he and MD should front the show together but AT felt slighted and left.

20/05/2014 at 21:57

Ha! probably a strain welly boot, strategically place. I think he was dropped or so I read somewhere.....

joking aside I love them both in there ways.

20/05/2014 at 22:05

To be honest.  I know I have said some words for and against the presenters in the past.  But I bare no malice.  My eldest daughter Kerry has met AT.  I'd like to meet and chat with him, solely on our relationship of horticulture.  I have been to many Chelsea shows.  Inmy case, not boasting, but out for the day to be entertained and to further my education.  I afound it too hard going.  In a very short space of time, you found yourself going where the crowd was going.

I enjoy seeing bits and bobs on the telly.   It is so rewarding to see so many youngsters taking part.  Let's face it.  At whatever level or status etc.  Horticulture really is the subject.  NO, I have never and never will exhibit anything, despite I have been a RHS fellow since the sixties.

20/05/2014 at 22:13

I'm really enjoying the Show, an hour of garden design indulgent. A great antidote after a hard slog at the office.

20/05/2014 at 22:28

Tonight's episode from the BBC's coverage of TCFS was the first full episode that I have seen this year and there's the same old faces. Whilst the show heralds "youth" and "new designers", the BBC's coverage is still the same as the last decade.

Yawnsville Nikki Chapman doing the "milk-run" of medal hand-outs is as dull as watching Nikki Chapman doing the "milk-run" of medal hand-outs from the past years. Might as well as dug-out the same film from the BBC Archive. Compost heap for her next year!

My wife said that in one show that a reporter interviewed two young, trendy journalists who could be prepped for next year's BBC coverage for a fresh view of this perennial TV event.

20/05/2014 at 23:45

Again, I emjoyed the Chelsea  coverage.  thought Monty was very good, again.  Hope to see some of the new plants featured.  Usually end up with some of them....foxglove illumination pink (disappointingly not perennial) and anemome wild swan (a delight) and echinacea tiki torch (brilliant colour)

21/05/2014 at 01:03

Monty was great as always nice to see cottage gardens getting a look in what does Nikki Chapman contribute to Chelsea ? Apart from being eye candy mmm....anybody any ideas ? 

21/05/2014 at 07:50

Well. She does look good Kevin..........   She's fine for Chelsea but not for general garden progs.  

21/05/2014 at 08:19

Nikki Chapman 'eye candy'!!??  I thought the term referred to young, attractive persons

At the risk of going off-topic, I smiled at last Friday's GW when Sophie Raworth was in her mother's garden.  Sophie reeled off a few plant names and her mother responded along the lines of "You're improving then.  You can name a few plants now"  Just about sums things up doesn't it.

21/05/2014 at 09:29

...there's no eye candy for women.... in my opinion...well, I've yet to see any...

21/05/2014 at 09:34
Supernoodle wrote (see)

Was Alan really dropped or did he not do it due to doing a garden this year?

www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-05-12/alan-titchmarsh-i-was-hurt-at-being-replaced-by-monty-don-but-im-not-bitter

21/05/2014 at 09:48

I have to find I am finding Its actually watchable this year (probably because theres no Alan T) .. Though the afternoon sections are pretty dire. However its nice to record and fast forward through.

As usual though the BBC seem to have gone over the top with coverage so that much of it is repetitive - also spoils it a little if your going..

We're actually going on Friday and have re entry for the sell off so hoping to pick some nice things up if the price is right - though i have to say the last time I was there the sell off prices on what I would call everyday specimens  were hardly value for money. Best bets are larger items .

re the Nikki Chapman "eye candy" comment - at the risk of sounding sexist "should have gone to specsavers"

21/05/2014 at 10:59

I think Monty is doing a good job, but he looks a bit tired. Prefer him at Chelsea to GW. Alan T has been on TV showing his own show garden, liked him too. I like Nikki Chapman, she's human, sympathetic and funny and quite attractive. Why do women presenters have to be "eye candy" ? She's a TV presenter, you don't need big gardening knowledge to present Chelsea and there is a mixture of presenters anyway, some of whom are gardening experts.

21/05/2014 at 11:50

What about Chris Beardshaw Salino?  He's eye candy enough for me and he has very green fingers, enough said 

21/05/2014 at 13:28

Cultiv8, I agree. Bearshaw is quite the eye candy...

1 to 20 of 41 messages