London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
16/12/2013 at 20:05

I did a price comparison with the post office and one of the carriers today, 2.5KG parcel

£12+ for the PO and £5+ for the carrier. Am I allowed to say which carrier? I don't work for them 

I don't think the post office want the business

16/12/2013 at 20:17

I came to that conclusion. I sent two parcels,identical size, one week apart. One cost £5.50, the other £15. It seems it depends on who is on, as to how much it will cost. If I am going to send stuff out again, I will set up a courier account beforehand.

When I was in today they had a largish  parcel size shown that is apparently £3. So why did a tiny parcel cost £5.60 a month ago?

16/12/2013 at 20:23

We had a leaflet through the door from Royal Mail the other day saying that the size of 'small parcels' was going up - it seemed to be imminent. 

19/12/2013 at 14:39

I think the size limits on a "small parcel" have gone up but the weight bands are the same - if it weighs over 1kg you may find cheaper options elsewhere. I respect the Royal Mail and like to support it but I have recently resorted to a certain popular courier firm who will collect from our door or from a named "safe place" and will do the same at the other end - and it's tracked.

19/12/2013 at 14:49

Green Magpie - will the couriers you use collect if no one is 'in'?  Is the safe place somewhere quoted on your premises?  Royal mail recently added new small parcel dimensions with 'wide and deep', but they have lost out a lot to couriers.

19/12/2013 at 15:17

please do nut - have spent a small fortune at the PO this Xmas and am not happy 

maybe write it in code!

19/12/2013 at 15:30

I used Hermes, all  organised on line. weigh it yourself and print a label. Like the PO there are things they won't carry but it's all very clear on the website.

2Kg parcel, Peterborough to near Cardiff. £12plus at PO, £5.10p Hermes. For a bit more I could have had it collected from my home. you deliver it to a parcelshop. I think most of these are in local convenience stores. Mine was nearer than a PO.

I had mine sent to my granddaughter at home but I think they can deliver to the parcelshops as well to await collection. 

I was well impressed

19/12/2013 at 15:39

Just received a parcel of plants via FED EX.  Collected amd delivered in one day and tracked easily.  I knew just when it would arrive. 

The post office simply is not competitive now.

19/12/2013 at 15:40

I took it in on Tuesday am and my son says it's just arrived

19/12/2013 at 16:08

That is impressive! Was that a Collect+ you used then?

I sell bits and pieces on eBay and am finding it much harder now that the PO has upped its chargers - this I'll be checking out Hermes from now on - thanks for the tip!

19/12/2013 at 16:20

Cheapest rate Jess, I could have paid more for collection from my place and insurance 

19/12/2013 at 17:45

Forester - yes, My Hermes will collect from a shed or outbuilding etc, and deliver to one as well, if given the details. This is a big help to anyone who's out at work. Obviously if you want a signature on delivery, the recipent needs to be in (and there's an extra charge for this). Ebay now list Hermes as a suggested courier in their drop-down list of postage options, so it seems to be well established.

19/12/2013 at 18:37

Thank you Green Magpie - very useful information.

19/12/2013 at 18:38

good to know Green M thanks

19/12/2013 at 18:49

One to avoid at all costs is Parcel Force!

I sent a frozen food hamper to a friend of mine (haggis, black pudding etc) and unfortunately he wasn't at home when they tried to deliver on a Friday. They didn't leave a calling card (and apparently with them you cannot pick up from a depot anyway). They wouldn't redeliver on a Saturday as that is a premium pre-pay service and delivery was eventually on Monday.

Needless to say the food had thawed out and my friend was wary of consuming it.

I telephoned to complain and got absolutely nowhere with it. I would not hesitate in never using them again!

19/12/2013 at 18:53

Green Magpie - do you have to pre register with my hermes before using them?

20/12/2013 at 08:39

Yes, you have to register with them the first time (I've only used them twice). You can pay by card or by PayPal. They then get you to print out a label (they search the postal database to make sure the address corresponds to the post code) which you attach to the package - this has their bar code on, so you do need to be able to print it out.

20/12/2013 at 10:03

Green Magpie - I am going to PM you.

20/12/2013 at 10:06

Oops - can't do that then!

21/12/2013 at 22:28

Got stung by Royal Mail this year.  The missus bought an item for an elderly relative and it cost nearly twice the cost of the item to send the **** thing.

1 to 20 of 25 messages