London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 36 messages
24/11/2013 at 22:41

My Christmas Tree, from last year is in a pot out in the garden, it cost £7 and after potting up has grown a few inches over the summer. It's probably too big for the coffee table now at about 2-3ft high but I was amazed it didn't die and as an evergreen added all year colour on the patio .

Went down to the local GC today and out of curiosity checked out the price of Christmas tree's. £40 for a potted 2ft high Normadic Spruce.

...Zoomer went off to look at decorations/cards.

What do other posters do at Christmas? Have you recycled last years tree or do you get another one...  

24/11/2013 at 22:45

For the last couple of years we have had a fake tree, although a very good one. This year we want to get a smallish tree with roots so we can either keep it potted or put in the garden to hopefully grow.  

25/11/2013 at 07:53

Before we came to live here we'd always had a real tree - a new one each year which we took to be shredded afterwards.  When the children were small fetching the tree and dressing it were important rituals for our family.  We never dressed the tree until the 23rd as it is my son's birthday on the 22nd and we always made it a separate celebration

But here we have large open rooms with waxed  parquet floors - we need a tree a minimum of 7ft to look right - and the expense of such a huge tree each year, coupled with the difficulty of moving such a tree and pot and the anxiety of keeping it watered without risking damp stains on the floors forced us  to have a re-think.  

We bought a huge white artificial tree and it looks amazing in here - the first year we had it we won a prize of some special Scottish smoked salmon for 'the best dressed tree'   It's not a traditional look, but it's jolly celebratory.

I've been pondering a small potted tree to keep in a pot put on the front porch each festive period - we used to put the bay lollipop by the front door and dress it with glass baubles, but it's in a huge pot now and is too big to move.  

I'm keeping my eyes open for something that'll be just right  ...................... 

25/11/2013 at 09:08

We always used to buy rooted trees of the non needle shedding variety but only one ever survived once planted out and it's now about 20' tall.   For the last couple of years we've bought cut trees of the non shedding variety - less expensive but still pricey as we like a good 6' or 7' tree.    I have an old galvanised laundry tub that I've painted red and stencilled with gold snow flakes and Xmas trees which means we can give a good water supply and a couple of stones for stability.

25/11/2013 at 09:28

It's worth noting that there's a lot of difference in the potential viability between 'pot-grown' Christmas trees, and those that have been dug up (often with a lot of roots severed) and plonked into a pot and sold like that.  

If you want to keep a tree growing in a pot for future years it's worth paying a bit more for one the the guaranteed 'pot grown' trees 

KEF
25/11/2013 at 10:10

Mine is artificial, seven feet tall. I'd post a picture from last year but far too early

It was bought, or should I say I bought it when we first moved here, no plaster on walls, no carpets etc..just wanted to feel like Christmas. It did the trick, but and a big but, I didn't think about the size of it and how we'd accomodate it with furniture. Answer, we couldn't. It stayed in the loft a few years and we had to have a conservatory built to put it in.

Each year H says we should donate it to Chatsworth House.

25/11/2013 at 10:44

We have an artificial tree inside but both my children have a live one outside (Picea glauca concia) which I put some lights around that they make some edible decorations for the birds.

25/11/2013 at 13:21

we gave up having trees at Christmas, our ceilings are very high and we always needed the tallest, and therefore  expensive trees. Plus the fact we usually go away over the holiday period so we do'nt even get to enjoy it. However, I always decorate the place with lots of real holly garlands and greenery from the garden, we have a Strawberry tree that has lovely colourfull berries and makes a nice Christmas'y display. so our home does'nt look like Scrooge in in residence!

Ironically, last year, some one very kindly dumped their discarded xmas tree in my garden, so I still ended up having to dispose of one!!

25/11/2013 at 14:11
ginagibbs wrote (see)

Ironically, last year, some one very kindly dumped their discarded xmas tree in my garden, so I still ended up having to dispose of one!!

Not very nice. I used to collect all the neighbours used trees to make compost and to use as a wildlife hedge (the needles act as a mulch and stops weeds, allowing the saplings to grow). Sometime the dead trees get very light and blow away, so I no longer do that.

25/11/2013 at 14:39

We have a little fake 3 foot tree that I whip out at Christmas, would like a bigger/real one but not sure the house can take it without losing some furniture from the front room  Sadly I have a minor obsession with buying decorations for the tree and now have more than my little tree can handle  Will have to think creatively to be able to get them all out!

KEF
25/11/2013 at 15:52

Panda, I stick to a colour theme and use the same ones each year, but just keep adding  H hasn't sussed why they come out of boxes from the loft, but won't fit back in.

I've got some naff ornaments that I spread around the house ..these must go this year !

25/11/2013 at 16:04

Mine has a colour theme too, although some are old precious ones, either from my mum and dads tree or what the boys made at school. These go at the back, but do go on.

Did have a sort out last year and took some to the charity shop.

KEF
25/11/2013 at 16:13

Lily I also hide the old " treasured ones" at the back, would feel bad not putting them on.

Blairs I think that's lovely about the birds.

25/11/2013 at 16:25

Can't help being sentimental can we.  

KEF
25/11/2013 at 16:28
star gaze lily wrote (see)

Can't help being sentimental can we.  

Let's call it the spirit of Christmas.

25/11/2013 at 16:31

Or hoarding  lol! 

25/11/2013 at 17:07

My tree goes out as late as possible (last year it was Christmas eve!). I love it and don't want to stop noticing it  Plus OH is a grinch so daren't do it too soon!

I am a self confessed hoarder too! Don't have any family made ornaments, but do have my new snowman to put out this year (made at guide camp!)

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/34485.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

25/11/2013 at 19:17

Always have a real tree, best times were going to a place where we could dig our own up, kids loved it (ok I did ~ but hoped kids did too). Now have an artificial one (wash my mouth out) as well. The real one is always the biggest I can find, always have a mini row with OH whether it needs to be so big, I usually win,size matters after all.  . Expensive though. Always forget to water it so it droops by January. Chop it up and burn it after, and what flames it makes!  

KEF
25/11/2013 at 19:31

Panda, imagine this as advice from Lily Savage ...tell H to bend over and he can be on the top of the tree.

KEF

25/11/2013 at 19:37

1 to 20 of 36 messages