Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

Hi, I have made a trellis for our fence hoping to get some of my new plants to attach themselves to it. My concern, although a bit late now, can a trellis be too thick? This one is made out of 50mm x 25mm roofing timbers.

The plants are...

Solanum Laxum 'Album' which I think is on steroids, gone crazy already!

Sollya Heterophylla

Clematis Montana Var. Rubens

Clematis Apple Blossom.

The 2 clematis are new so have not progressed much yet but as I said the Solanum Laxum has grown really fast.

The Sollya Heterophylla looks ok but has not grown one bit so I have put this in a pot as I don't really know what to do with it...

Oh I am very new to all this green fingered lark so forgive me if I have done anything stupid or got the name wrong.

Thanks

Well Scott, you have got yourself a trellis and a half there. I can tell you one thing, it's not going to collapse under the weight of the plants.

The clematis montana will cover it even though the spars are a bit thick for the leaf stalks to grip. You can't keep a good montana down.

Not sure about the other plants though.

That must mean you have seen a pic of my trellis???? I tried to upload it but the site said there was a problem, On my screen my post is showing no picture so apologies if it has uploaded several times.

Would you put some form of netting over the trellis?

Just how big is the trellis? I mean, the montana alone could cover a garage, as one is doing in my garden.

nutcutlet

Solanum and sollya don't cling, you'll have to weave them in so the size won't matter. Anything a montana can do, Apple Blossom (assuming the clematis) can do as well.

You'll have to watch the sollya, not so competative.

waterbutts says a montana can cover a garage, I'd save that's underestimating it. Ditto armandii (apple blossom)

Advertisement

waterbutts wrote (see)

Just how big is the trellis? I mean, the montana alone could cover a garage, as one is doing in my garden.

It is about 30 feet long and just over 1 foot high

So is there a chance I may have planted too much for this size trellis? I haven't got the hang of being patient when it comes to gardening, I have the theory that the more you plant the better

nutcutlet wrote (see)

Solanum and sollya don't cling, you'll have to weave them in so the size won't matter. Anything a montana can do, Apple Blossom (assuming the clematis) can do as well.

You'll have to watch the sollya, not so competative.

waterbutts says a montana can cover a garage, I'd save that's underestimating it. Ditto armandii (apple blossom)

I have taken up the Sollya as I don't really know what to do with it, It is in a small pot at the moment. I dont want it to get swamped by the other 3 plants.

Scott, that's not a trellis, that's a trip hazard, unless it's attached to the top of the fence.

I'd say choose one of the clematis plants to do the job. Nutcutlet may have another idea.

Sorry it is at the top of a 6ft fence. This site won't let me upload the pic

nutcutlet

Being clever, I'd worked out it was on the top of a fence

I think I'd have one of the clems at each end and the solanum in the middle with a view to removing something in the future when world domination looks likely. I'd nurture the sollya elsewhere. as well as not being very competitive it's not very hardy

nutcutlet

see what daintines says on your other thread. you have to get them up to the trellis

Ha, You never know, some people are that stupid. Thank you for all the advice, I really appreciate it.