Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis for a dry bank

Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Has anyone got a suggestion for a clematis which likes a dry bank that is available in the UK?

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

They don't like being dry,unless you are going to water them every day and the toughest would be a montania but I think its not the right spot.image

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

clematis tangutica is almost drought proof when established-rampant though so give it space-it will also self seed-yellow pendulous flowers and possibly the best seed heads

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

If you can dig a big planting hole and sink your new clematis very deep with plenty of moisture retentive garden compost and well rotted manure and then keep it watered and fed for the first couple of years (and protected against slugs) you should get something tough like a viticella Etoile Violette or the afore mentioned Montana and tangutica to establish but you'll also need to train their stems to avoid having just a messy tangle.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Thanks for the suggestions, I've decided to sink a large/deep plastic pot into the ground and plant within the pot, so I can control the moisture levels and nutrition. The spot is in competition with leyllandi hedging (neighbours) and an ugly fence so I'm having to be creative to cover the fence.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

A plastic pot will be too restrictive for clematis which likes to send its roots deep.  Much better to let the roots spread out and find food and moisture at their will - and they will if you get the initial soil preparation and watering right as indicated above.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I forgot to say obelixx, the bottom of the pot has been cut out, the soil has been improved, the pot is there to allow feeding before it can dry out and the leyllandi can soak up all the moisture.