Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis gone funny

Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149
Both my cheapo clematis I bought from Morrisons a couple of years ago have got powdery stuff all over them and they are not really thriving, they made an effort a couple of months ago but now just look sad. Is this the dreaded clematis wilt? If so is it ok to dig them up and plant a new, better quality clematis there or will the disease spread to the new plant?

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149
    I don't think I planted them deep enough originally the latest gardners world says to plant them quite deep.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

More likely to be Mildew. Wilt is extremely rare these days.

Lack of water is the usual cause. Give them a good soaking, feed with a liquid feed and spray with a suitable fungicide.

Right, I have been a bit lax with the watering lately. I assumed because I have very thickly planted borders that the moisture would stay in.....until I pulled a dead head off a geranium and the whole plant came out image Been busy with the hose this evening.
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    We ain't got that problem here in Scotland. There has been rain every day for weeks now!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    Poor you, I love Scotland though, we visit from time to time and the air itself up there feels different.