Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

CLEMATIS WILT?

Can any of you wise souls out there help me?

I have a lovely blue blousey double clematis that has flowered great this year. Now when I look at it it has gone black/very dark purple. The new growth at the top is still a fresh green. Have I got the dreaded wilt?I understand that if it is I have to cut it right down and cross fingers and toes that it grows back good.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Whenever i have had wilt it affects the tips first, so you might be ok.  Might just be the older leaves getting a bit tired

• bobs mumbobs mum Posts: 6

Maybe I'll be lucky, then. I have fed it with tomato feed. Would that be right?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I think it's just the older leaves looking a bit 'older'.  It happens to all of us image

The bottom leaves of my Daniel Deronda are looking sort of blackish purple, but the new growth is fresh and green.  I'm feeding mine with Clematis food.   I think tomato food would be fine while the clematis is growing buds preparing to flower, but now it needs a more balanced fertiliser to feed the whole plant.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• bobs mumbobs mum Posts: 6

OK, Dovefrom above. Thanks for that. I'll get the right food.