London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 37 messages
20/01/2014 at 22:12

Hello lovely folk.  Has anyone out yonder ordered clematis from the clematis man website before and if so would you recommend? Am considering giving it a go. Thanks muchly.

21/01/2014 at 11:23

Not seen this one, have bought clematis on line and they have been good -will investigate this site too.

21/01/2014 at 11:42

Hi again, have just been on the clematis man web site.  The first thing that struck me was how very cheap he is - I just wonder what size the plants are.  He says they are two years old, and in 1 litre pots, I would be interested to see them.  The clematis breeders, Raymond Evason, charged 4 - 5 time those prices, but they are guaranteed to be what they say they are, and you have a guarantee if they don't grow.  I have bought a couple from them as a special treat, and they have been wonderful.

Clematis man seems to have a good range, I guess it is worth trying one or two and seeing how good they are.

If you do decide to try, please let us know how you got on and how good the plants are?  Thank you. 

21/01/2014 at 14:34

I'd echo that tootles, let us know how they turn out, they are very cheap, aldi and wilko prices are about the same.

I must say however, I can't find an ebay shop under that name, past or present.

21/01/2014 at 21:12

Thanks ever so much bookertoo and Dave Morgan. I will give him a go and let you know how I get on. I emailed him for a discount code and got an immediate response, so promising.  Thanks again for responding.

22/01/2014 at 11:00

Dave, it isn't an ebay site which is why you couldn't find it there. Just 'search' with whatever you use, for clematis man and he will come up.

22/01/2014 at 17:58

Thanks booker will have a go.

01/02/2014 at 15:28

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36848.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

They've arrived! We'll packaged albeit the pots are small. They look healthy though. It cost £17 for these four. I went for bees jubilee, early sensation, dr ripples and duchess of Edinburgh. Will let you know how they do. I'm going to put them in the greenhouse until the weather picks up. Might pot them on too before going outside.

01/02/2014 at 15:34

I would pot them on now if you can in deep pots so you can plant them a couple of inches deper than they are in tehse pots.  This encourages them to form extra shoots so more flowers later.

When you do plant them out, put them in 2 to 4 inches deeper again for the same reasons.  Make sure they have  a good rich compost with a good food supply and decent drainage - John Innes no 3 rather than multi purpose.  Keep them fed and watered but not drowning and they'll do you proud once they've got their roots established.

01/02/2014 at 15:49

Thanks obelisk. When do you think I should plant them out. I was thinking March time? Is it likely that I'll get flowers on them this year?

01/02/2014 at 17:50

These deep pots are what I use to grow-on clematis before I plant them out:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-NEW-PLASTIC-4-LITRE-EXTRA-DEEP-BLACK-RIGID-PLANT-POTS-/301079978671

If they are small plants/large plugs, they stay in these for a year before being planted out in about mid-march.  I plant them 2 inches deeper than when they arrive into these pots and then 4 inches deeper still when I plant them into the garden in a year's time (in March).  I have lost small clematis by planting them into the garden too quickly so am always patient and stick to this method now.

01/02/2014 at 19:42

Thanks Bob. I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait for  a whole year before I plant these fellows out though! I will defo pot them on tomorrow morning in deep pots. I listen to bbc radio Nottingham on Sunday morning. Fab gardening slot from 9-10am! Makes the working week bearable!   

01/02/2014 at 20:19

Dear Tootles, do try and be patient!  Gardening is all about patience, and if you plant out your baby clematis too soon, i.e. before next March, they just will not survive next winter.  As BtG says, plant on into deep pots and nurture lovingly,  and plant in a good permanent position next March - then they will build up to nice big plants and flower gloriously in due course.

The ones you have chosen are all good  and worth waiting for - and the plants you photographed, although smallish, look well and healthy - worth waiting the extra year for - honestly!

01/02/2014 at 20:32

I'll try my best to wait then. In the height of summer would it be best to put them outside in their pots or keep them in the greenhouse?

01/02/2014 at 21:06

I put my young clematis out in their pots, much will depend where you live and the weather to come!  A bit of fresh air will help them thrive, and the wind - if not too hard - will help the stems to toughen up.  As long as they don't get frosted when too young, they will be fine, if kept out of too much wind at this early stage.  They will need feeding, clematis are one of the few plants I actually buy specific feed for - everything else just gets pelleted chicken manure in April.  

02/02/2014 at 15:30

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36909.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

All potted up now. They all had lovely roots and looked very strong.

28/04/2014 at 19:11

Evening peeps, just in case anyone is interested, the clematis I bought from The Clematis Man are romping away and I'm really please. The photo below is Early Sensation. Not at all bad for £4.99. The others are also doing well and they were only £3.99 and I got free postage for ordering four. Would defo recommend. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/44039.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

28/04/2014 at 20:08

I gave in to temptation and bought some clems from the clematis man - and am very pleased with the quality for such young plants.

I have been ill so haven't been out in the garden much recently, but the plants are romping away in the cold greenhouse - will have to get them out before they take it over!!

28/04/2014 at 20:55

Sorry to hear you've been ill Bookertoo. Hope on the mend quickly. 

Which ones did you go for? He's got some lovely varieties on his website. 

I sent off for an offer in the Telegraph. £5.99 postage and three free clematis. Well, they are teeny tiny and look very delicate. Doubt they'll be ready for a couple of years. Whereas I planted the Clematis Mans Duchess of Edinburgh out in the garden on Saturday as it was too big for the cold frame! I hope the weatherman is wrong with the talk of frosts!!

28/04/2014 at 21:22

Look excellent value Tootles.  

If you can resist planting the rest of them  out too soon you will have excellent plants to put out into the garden.  I totally agree with deep planting too.  Pot on regularly to keep cle aris growing strongly and pot on a little deeper each time.  

Yep, good gardening is about patience....you cannot hurry plants along if you want them strong and healthy.

1 to 20 of 37 messages