London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
6 messages
12/05/2014 at 21:45

I only picked up on this from one of those Facebook round robin things about animals dying after eating them.  It may be something which has come up before or it may turn out there is more to it.  You never know with Facebook things.  Interesting and worrying though.

12/05/2014 at 21:50

Hello yarrow. I had never heard that. I know that our town uses it in the public areas where people walk their dogs and so on. It absolutely smells to highheaven - I can't imagine anything eating it!

12/05/2014 at 21:52

Hiya Yarrow, 

Used cocoa shell mulch about 20 years ago and, initially, it looked and smelled fantastic.  However, it soon became "mouldy" with white "growths".  I think it possibly could be hazardous to pets.....or children if they lick their hands there.  

Would not use it again 

12/05/2014 at 21:59

Yes, I heard a number of years ago that Cocoa shells is very dangerous for animals - especially dogs.

12/05/2014 at 22:06

It's the chocolate content that's bad for pets, especially dogs who are more likely to eat it than cats.    Use ordinary bark mulch instead.

12/05/2014 at 22:50

It is a chemical called 'theobromine' which is in the cocoa shells that is harmful to both cats and dogs - though cats are less likely to eat it. I believe some manufacturers have removed this chemical from their product but I personally avoid using cocoa mulch's on a common sense basis of 'better safe than sorry.  

email image
6 messages