Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Hello everybody , I have been given some used coffee Grindings from a well known coffee chain and wonder how to use them on the garden

Any advice welcome ?

I have only heard about putting them around Hostas ?

Dovefromabove

I put mine around the hostas and/or incorporate them into the household compost heap.

chicky

We add ours to the compost heap too - then they get mixed in with everything else.

Salino

..you can spread them around your roses as a mulch too... you will need quite a lot of it though to make a difference, so if you can get it free from some coffee chain then that's good... it's the acid in the coffee grounds that attracts worms, which in turn will drag it down...and over time should improve the soil too...

...so I'm told...

Obelixx

We only ever drink filter coffee at home and the grounds all end up on the compost heap.   No good for hostas as they're decaf. 

Advertisement

Hostafan1

The branch of Waitrose where I work has the coffee grinds in a tub outside with a scoop , bags and a sign saying " help yourself"

Might be worth having a look if you have a Waitrose nearby.

I add them to compost heap.

I add them to the compost but also add some around plantings as I'm going. Not on directly but around. Doesn't seem to have done them any harm so far

Green Magpie

I think coffee grounds are on the acidic side, so would be good for mulching acid-loving/ ericaceous plants.

Edd

Yes they are good for acid loving plants but. they wash out quickly.

I agree with the above the best use is in the compost. The worms love it. It contains a lot of Nitrogen that its not easily converted to plant use but the worms do this for you.

The slug prohibiter debate is still out and its also illegal to use them as a pest control.

Can you believe that!!!! Thats the EU for you!

Guess who patented the idea of caffeine as a slug control, back in1981????

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Fproperty%2Fgardening%2Fno-coffee-for-slugs-8081384.html&ei=lT6jVLv7NIH1UuysgKAL&usg=AFQjCNE4TM9XRKzqh9vqrXSHa0lcpNmIfA

"

Used coffee grounds for gardening does not end with compost. Many people choose to place coffee grounds straight onto the soil and use it as a fertilizer. The thing to keep in mind is while coffee grounds add nitrogen to your compost, they will not immediately add nitrogen to your soil.

The benefit of using coffee grounds as a fertilizer is that it adds organic material to the soil, which improves drainage, water retention and aeration in the soil. The used coffee grounds will also help microorganisms beneficial to plant growth thrive as well as compost worms"

There is not enough caffeine left in coffee grounds to kill a slug it just makes them wake up during the day and eat more plants!

Thanks to you all for the advise 

I have decided to add them to my compost at the allottment 

Dovefromabove

I've never thought that the caffeine might be strong enough to deter slugs and snails, but I've hoped that the gritty texture of the grounds might help to keep them away from my hostas