London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
13 messages
25/01/2014 at 18:52

Would it be better to build a cold frame out of wood or brick

25/01/2014 at 18:55

Brick would last longer. Wood would be more insulative.

Trust me, I live in a wooden house

25/01/2014 at 20:41

Hi Rich, I'd endorse Nutc's comment but also suggest that you might consider a third option whereby you have a foundation course of bricks, topped off by the wooden framework - thus the susceptible wood is raised away from direct contact with the underlying soil? *You might also line the frame with sheets of rigid polystyrene foam, overlapping in the corners and rising to just under the top edges of framework? **Builders and shopfitters often have sizeable 'offcuts' which I'm sure would oblige you if approached in a friendly, enquiring manner? Do give us a look at the finished item.... 

25/01/2014 at 23:19

Old pallets(free usually) make a good cold frame with polycarbonate lids. I made 2 one deep the other shallow keeps my cuttings very snug.

26/01/2014 at 09:26

I do like David Matthews2 idea of a brick base with a wooden top. I think I might have to use safety glass to keep our little girl safe.

26/01/2014 at 09:28

Rich have you considered contacting a window company for old windows? They are usuLly happy to give Way as it saves them scrapping them!!

26/01/2014 at 09:44

I did think about useing an old window but im only looking at makeing it 500mm*1000mm

26/01/2014 at 10:18

I have been fortunate to have sourced some reclaimed 6feet long 3x3 posts which I shall be using to build a cold frame out of soon if it ever gets dry enough! (Getting frustrated now!)

I also managed to reclaim of 2 old wooden sash windows, which someone was throwing out and I shall hinge on the top of the new cold-frame when built.....

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36550.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

So my thoughts like many others on here is see what you can 'reclaim' through the free adds or your local freecycle group and then get creative!

This is my old temporary cold-frame which was literally a few reclaimed planks of wood screwed together and then covered with fleece at night. Although a bit 'rough' it actually worked well. The only problem here is that where the wood meets the ground it will in time rot but then as it didn't cost anything!...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36551.jpg?width=319&height=350&mode=max

Adding some gravel into the bottom of the cold-frame works well for a bit of drainage and upsetting the slugs a bit.

26/01/2014 at 10:33

Another idea for anyone short on space is to simply add a framework with shelves to the side of a shed.

The picture below doesn't demonstrate this but I used a thick piece of fleece or you can use heavyweight weed resistant cloth to hang down over the front of the framework at night time. I did this by screwing a baton to the shed with the fleece trapped underneath, on the other end of the fleece was another baton to give it weight and keep it in place when rolled down. When not in use just roll the fleece back up using the bottom baton and clip up out of the way during day time or when not in use. (I hope that makes sense?)

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36552.jpg?width=319&height=350&mode=max

Apologies that I don't have a picture of it completed but I hope that the above explanation makes sense?

Best

Higgy

26/01/2014 at 10:57

Thank you higgy50 you have given me some realy good ideas. I realy do like the shelfs on the side of the shed.

26/01/2014 at 13:10
Hi all,i love it when a question gets results like this and all the answers are relative to the actual first question, some really good ideas here, weve just refitted some d/glazing and im going to use the old windows for a clod frame, im going for a low brick wall, then a sole plate of 4x2 timber screwed onto the top of the walls and then the windows, i might even hinge them, iv also done one before by just using the actual glass easily taken out of the frames makes them simple to move off and on the frame, and as Dave says polystyrene insulation, i think Higgies ideas is good nice and easy to do, good luck all
27/01/2014 at 08:34

im thinking of keeping it in one place

28/01/2014 at 18:55

I think im going to useca brick base and wooden top

email image
13 messages