London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
7 messages
15/01/2014 at 22:46

I am going to make a " cold frame " on my. Allotment 

I have made the frame  but not the top and wondered what people would recommend I thought about polycarbonate ? Any ideas or suggestion 

Also inside the frame I was going to put a membrane down and cover with gravel but wondered what people thought ?

15/01/2014 at 22:50

I went on the 'free ads' recently and managed to buy two small wooden framed windows. When I got them home they fitted my new home built cold-frame perfectly!! LOL

Find your local 'Freecycle' group and see what's going as people give stuff away for free so it doesn't go in landfill and I've often seen old doors and window frames etc on mine so well worth a look and it will be free!!

Best

Higgy

15/01/2014 at 22:54

We used polycarbonate for coldframe lids - still going strong a decade later.  You can get edging strips which finish it off nicely too

15/01/2014 at 23:10

My OH is about (I hope) to replace my coldframe lids. He'll be using polycarbonate. Lighter and more insulating than glass.

I used a membrane covered with sand - it was what I had.

15/01/2014 at 23:40

Polycarb here too - mine is at least 20 years old.  Much of the wooden frame has been replaced over the years but the top will be good for many more yet.  Sharp sand over membrane inside - for the same reasons as BL!

16/01/2014 at 00:38

Allotments. Damage etc.  I would go for polycarbonate, twinwall.

Might I take this opportunity to add a tip or two.

The coldframe can become a most valuable friend.  More so in exceptionally cold districts.  as even within the cold greenhouse.  Perhaps in the form of a propagating frame.  Believe me.  This works.  The lawn cuttings.  Valuable to add to the compost heap etc.  Have you ever thought about.  Constructing a propagating frame and using grass mowings as the under soil heat source?  Likewise.  Within a cold frame.  A layer of mowings covered with soil.  Place your plants on top.  Fantastic.  The heat generated by the mowings is so valuable.   Outside the cold frame and greenhouse.  Come the time to plant out marrows and similar fruits. Make a mound of soil and mowings.  Top the mound with soil or compost.  Insert your marrows etc.  Firstly. Your fruits are off the ground, ok comfort them with a layer of hay or straw.  Below. The roots are kept warm by the decaying grass cuttings. OK in confined spaces.  You might become aware of a change in smell.  Believe me.  The humble grass mowing has so much to offer.

16/01/2014 at 13:50

My cold frame is a light timber frame with twin walled, quite thin polycarbonate. It is light enough to move around and store behind the studio for the summer. At the moment it is protecting Autumn planted peas which are doing nicely. In a few weeks, I shall move it to another area of the veg bed to protect something else; I suppose that I am using it as more of a cloche than a cold frame.

email image
7 messages