London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 18°C
21 to 40 of 48 messages
10/12/2013 at 19:06

Clueless, Please don't leave this material in layers, it is the MIX that works the MAGIC! Respectfully to the people who have written about this, you do not need to add worms. A Wormery is a completely different, and very wonderful, method for making compost. I looked after the Council Wormery as part of my Compost Master duties and I really missed the worms when they went.

10/12/2013 at 19:13

I've never added worms, they seem to find their own way in.

As artjak says, mix it up well, don't let it get too wet or dry,and give it a fluff up/mix at regular intervals.

10/12/2013 at 19:21

Yup, Fidget; light and fluffy is this winters mantra for making compost

10/12/2013 at 19:32

Even my compost mountain grows its own worms.  Spontaneous generation?

It never gets turned, I don't have the back/arm strength, but I try to mix as I build. It will take longer than a good heap but it gets there.

11/12/2013 at 10:45

I get OH to turn the compost into the next bin when he's emptied the first one for me - apart from that I poke a strong stick into it and wriggle it around energetically to aerate it throughout the summer, then put layers of cardboard boxes over the top for the winter.  Seems to work 

11/12/2013 at 14:33

To bring air into the centre of a heap/bin, use the strong cardboard tubes from cling film and kitchen foil; push them into the centre after turning the heap to ensure air is carried in.

12/12/2013 at 11:27

I use one of those aerators with the folding 'wings' on the end. It saves a lot of turning, which I find hard on my (already) sore back. You just push the metal pole into the compost, wiggle it about a bit then pull it back out again. The wings open up as you pull the pole back out, bringing compost with it. Works a treat.

12/12/2013 at 11:45

Do you have a photo Lancashire Lass

James

12/12/2013 at 11:51

Do post a pic LLass. Does it take a lot of arm strength to pull out? 

12/12/2013 at 12:13

i will be using a G Fork to mix mine

12/12/2013 at 13:04

Lancashire L., I use one also; got mine from Centre for Alternative Technology about 6 years ago; there are also ones that are like a big auger or drill bit.

12/12/2013 at 13:28

Here you go (I hope):

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35090.jpg?width=350

£11.99 + £3.99 delivery on Amazon UK at the moment. It's a Darlac DP788 model and having done a search, I can't find it cheaper anywhere else (even eBay).

Nice to know that Artjak has one still going strong after 6 years - is it the same model Artjak?

12/12/2013 at 15:36

oooooooooooooo I shall be buying one thank you LL

12/12/2013 at 18:41

I know what you are saying Break23

I'm thinking of making my mothering-law a compost bin out of a old water butt then she can turn it without opening it.

They get charged for the garden waist to be taken away

James

12/12/2013 at 18:45

Break23, I fill up the plastic ones and then when it has gone down after first heating, I lift the plastic bit off like a jelly mould, resite it and throw all the stuff back in with a fork.I find that easier than trying to stir it up from the top.

12/12/2013 at 18:56
Lancashire Lass wrote (see)

I use one of those aerators with the folding 'wings' on the end. It saves a lot of turning, which I find hard on my (already) sore back. You just push the metal pole into the compost, wiggle it about a bit then pull it back out again. The wings open up as you pull the pole back out, bringing compost with it. Works a treat.

Lancashire Lass wrote (see)

on my christmas wish list twice

13/12/2013 at 12:31
Break23, you asked if the aerator makes it easier?

Very much so. I have a really bad back and simply couldn't do the fork turning. The action with the aerator is very different than fork turning as there is hardly any weight to pick up - the aerator does it for you in effect, and all you have to do is a pushing motion to get the pole down the compost heap then a pulling motion to bring it back up again. It gets easier every time I use it, because I am now pushing into looser compost.

The aerator has made all the difference and I expect my compost to rot down faster now that I can turn it, mix it up and introduce air into it properly.

13/12/2013 at 12:37

Sorry about that - my posting has come up as in quotes and I can't edit it out!! Doh!

13/12/2013 at 20:15

Lancshirelass; my arrow 'thingy' for turning compost is more primitive than yours; no T junction at the top and the 'wings' I think are smaller. But this works well when you've been too busy to turn the compost and it has all got a bit compacted. The smaller the wings, the easier to pull the compost up to bring air into it. But having the big handles that yours has got, must make it easier to pull up anyway.

Does anyone have any feedback on the 'auger' type compost turner?

01/01/2014 at 09:27

Can I compost roses if I shred them ?

will the thorns come back and bite me

Clueless

21 to 40 of 48 messages