London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 19°C
6 messages
24/04/2014 at 15:16

Continuing an Idea from another thread. What kinds of things can you put into a compost heap (besides old plant matter)? Veggie peels and old food? tea bags? hair? is it like, any organic matter? I've also heard you can put in stuff like paper and cardboard. Is there anything I should definately avoid trying to compost? ta! 

24/04/2014 at 15:27

I know for sure not to put meat in a compost bin (cooked or raw) or cooked foods as that it like a homing beacon for rats.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/compost/113015.html

Is that any use?

24/04/2014 at 19:49

I see no reason not to include any leftover cooked veg ( although not sure why you'd not just eat it later) . I'd not include the nastier weeds like bindweed / marestails, couch grass either, unless you're very very vigilant when turning it to remove them if they still look alive and shove them back into bin 1, assuming you have more than one. I put in newspaper, cardboard , tea bags stale bread. I even rake up the needles below some pines we have. Basically anything I can find which I think will rot down

30/04/2014 at 13:16

ah that is most useful! thanks guys!

30/04/2014 at 15:43

Card and paper are definite additions, coffee ground, water boiled veg(no salt), the big no no's are fats and perennial weeds. Hair and wool can also be included, bread can attract mice and rats, but can be used in a hot composter or wormery.

30/04/2014 at 16:00

Just been rummaging in one of my compost bins. Sad I know, it's incredible how stuff disappears, the compost worms, brandlings? , seem to love shredded paper. I threw a couple of pelargoniums in in early spring just dug them out as I rummaged and discovered some of the stems had rooted! Now potted up and in greenhouse.

email image
6 messages