London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
9 messages
02/05/2014 at 15:04

Hiya one & all

A friend supplies me with rabbit manure, which consists of droppings & straw.  I build this up in a bin made of pallets and it appears to be doing some good to the soil in my garden  Does anyone know how rabbit manure compares in 'goodness' for the soil, compared to horse, cow, or other animal manures?  Thanks

Lyn
02/05/2014 at 15:29

Same I would think, theres not a great deal of nutrition in compost but its a great soil improver and mulch for winter to protect roots from frost and in summer to keep the ground damp.

02/05/2014 at 15:34

It is very easy to look up on the web.  Sorry don't have the relevant figures to hand.

02/05/2014 at 17:27

Rabbits don't digest food readily so the fresh pellets contain a lot of the food they are fed, good from wild rabbits, but not as good from captive as captive pets are often fed pelleted food containing all sorts. If the pellets have been eaten twice then that stuff is good compost material, however its hard to tell the difference. I'd be interested in your results, so let us know how you get on with it.

02/05/2014 at 18:10

I would think that the droppings from any animal that is strictly herbivore would be a good compost accelerator and would add some nutrients. Lyn is right that there isn't much nutrition in compost; it is a great soil conditioner and soil needs the right structure as much as it needs nutrition for good plant growth.

02/05/2014 at 18:30
All herbivore manure is good... My wife's guinea pigs are good at keeping the grass short and their droppings go in the compost bin - a win/win situation!
02/05/2014 at 18:34

Guinea pig is supposed to be one of the best for compost. A friend was looking after her grandson's last year so she gave me a few bags for my bin.

The manure I mean - not the actual guinea pigs...

02/05/2014 at 20:20

FG

03/05/2014 at 13:14

Many thanks everyone for your responses.  I always assumed that there was a lot of goodness in animal manure - which fed plants.  I have now been enlightened!  Thanks again.

email image
9 messages