London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
21 to 33 of 33 messages
24/03/2014 at 16:32

i've asked this before so apologies... what's the smallest compost bin available that works or should i try a wormery space vvv limited have tried to make my own from wooden slatted box lined with black plastic only one and a half ft deep 2 ft wie 1.5 across, doesn't seem to be rotting down that quickly

24/03/2014 at 18:27

JdeV, of course the desire to use less peat is valid.  But finding rubbish (glass, plastic, chunks of wood, concrete and brick, etc) in bought-in compost is a direct result of that.

That sort of stuff should have been screened out, but unless we complain it won't be.

Edd
24/03/2014 at 18:45

Hello Louise Stevenson

Not sure what you mean by 'vvv limited' But i have just placed two adult red wigglers into my old coffee mug beside my computer. It got chipped and i thought i would prove how easy vermicomposting is.. I have done this before and would like you to try it and get involved. (preferable on a larger scale) 

I was only jesting with Cosmic Tramp. and others? you should look at my recent thread call ' vermicomposting for beginners'http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/vermicomposting-for-begginers/255110.html and also 'mealworm for beginners'

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/growing-mealworms-for-beginners/258487.html and then you might understand. i will give them both a boots to the top of the treads, so you can see. 

How would you accept this into your front room???

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40194.jpg?width=350

Its a worm bin that even i would not consider but that is Americans for you!!!

nice try but no.

24/03/2014 at 20:31

Louise, a wormery may suit you for kitchen waste; not so suitable for garden waste.

As to making ones own compost; yes of course, but even a keen compost maker like myself cannot make 500 litres to fill a new veg bed with growing medium

24/03/2014 at 21:21

Going back to the original post.  That certainly wasn't a bag of compost.  Sounds more like someone was sent out to sweep the yard up and put the waste in the wrong bag.  I'd certainly complain.

Regarding seed sowing compost.  John Innes is probably considered the best.  However.  Consider how long your seeds are going to be in that compost.  A very short time in fact.  So you have to ask yourself.  Why not simply sieve some soil or even some multi purpose compost.  When you have enough, then sow your seeds.  Basically there is no worry about pH etc until the seedling is pricked out and/or potted on.  Then the plant needs to be given the best.

Me.  I swear by J. Arthur Bowers general purpose compost.  I find it reliable and top class.

Edd
24/03/2014 at 21:35

Can i prove you wrong there artjak. Here is a full top up of inside worm compost from 2 weeks ago. The photos are shown on here to prove it. Do not get me wrong this is not a argument but i will accept it as a challenge. What do you think? 

The new photo below, has not been harvested this week. I have just added new food tonight. (see pic) Just like the last and others. May be next week we will have over 2lb of worm poo. I will let you do the maths. With the new food (and water, added) the whole box weighs 5000g. 

The box is shoe box size 12" inch (sorry for crap, blurred pic) and is inside so imagine the green boxes i have and the outside compost bins i have, Do you want to buy some?

Only kidding artjak. This is not a challenge. I just wish more people would understand the principle and use it, before we all lose it.

” There are None so Blind as Those who will Not See ”

Please look at the evidence and see the results. Then use it.

I can't shout loudly enough about this unless it starts affecting my other studies (which it does).

Kind regards

Edd.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40213.jpg?width=350

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40215.jpg?width=350

Edd
24/03/2014 at 21:51

Are Mike!

Since i joined this site. I have been told i need seed compost for seed. Its a funny thing because i used to use sieved soil/sand and had no problems with it . But i do understand that composts looks feels and smells like the plants are crying out for it.

Its a wonderful creation that we can get involved with, mother nature and put back in too the earth and see results. We are one then, aren't we? I will never forget that feeling.

Regards

Edd.

PS i used Wicks westland, John Innes seed compost, as reported on other thread. I am still pritty pleased with it.

24/03/2014 at 22:12

Hi Edd.

Forums are a wonderful modern day means of communication etc.  So much in the line of advice, friendship etc can develop.  Howevr, sad to say.  I have found to my cost.  It is so easy to be at times, misunderstood.  So now and then someone might take the huff.  I like you mention of creation and mother nature. Especially creation.  Back to basics.  Gardening offers us such wide range of interests.  The chance to take chances and experiment.  As I have said so many times in the past.  Fair do's.  The classroom and the vast libraries are good and needed, but once you have grasped the basics.  Venture out.  OK some you win, some you lose.  But is is our trade, hobby, interest whatever.  Enjoy.

24/03/2014 at 22:27

There are some bad compost out there and it sounds as if you hit rock bottom with the stuff you brought. I would take it back and get your money back. Sometimes you get what you pay for with all due respects. I have just purchased 3 bags of Arthur Bowers MP compost at £3.99 for a 60L bag. Quality stuff and an all round compost. Would recommend it 

25/03/2014 at 08:37

thanks for answers i'm going to hunt for a small compost bin.. not in the house Edd esp not with a curious toddler around!

27/03/2014 at 11:24

Cheers to all, apart from advice to hold sellers accountable I've picked up info on best brands, just sieving normal earth and compost, and making my own and incorporating worms in the process... all of which will be useful and I absolutely will try to get a worm compost bin going this year. It does seem like sieving is the sensible first step with all general purpose compost.

Edd, sorry if I posted on a topic that is well provided for - in fact I wrote that post a few weeks ago but when I came back the other day and was prompted to verify my account, this topic was automatically revived.

Welshonion, thanks for clarifying about the peat (incidentally it was an honest question, I don't claim to know!), and I have to admit that with such a gulf in quality the temptation to choose peat and stick with it is very great! But I'm encouraged by the above discussion of alternatives!

27/03/2014 at 11:43

You must distinguish between garden compost (what you make in a heap at the bottom of the garden) and potting compost (what you put in pots to grow seedlings etc in).

Potting composts vary, but generally contain peat or a peat substitute like coir, sieved leaf-mould, vermiculite, sieved garden compost, loam, grit etc.  The exact formulation varies with what you're using it for, but it should never conatin stones and bits of plastic!  It's my ambition to have a series of large bins un der the greenhouse bench with a load of different components in so I can make up exactly the right mix when I want it.  And when Ive discovered exactly how!

I must say, I've never had problems with any garden stuff I've bought from Aldi: their long-handled loppers in particular did sterling work in the pruning season,but I haven't tried their compost.

27/03/2014 at 13:17

Jdve thank you ! John Inness is also very good for seeds and potting on and levintons is good but as I have said make your own you have full control what goes in it live the good life ! 

email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages