London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
10 messages
08/11/2013 at 13:45

Is it OK to put leaves collected in my leaf machine and "minced" into my compost box?

08/11/2013 at 14:17

They will break down more easily if they are 'minced' as you say, so yes.

08/11/2013 at 14:33

If you can mix them with green material - grass clippings etc - they will break down more quickly

08/11/2013 at 14:42

Of course they will be fine in the compost heap but why not consider popping them into plastic sacks (I use the old multi-purpose compost bags) and turning into leaf mould - I fill a bag, then tamp it down after a few days and add some more.  I keep them behind the greenhouse and after a year they are full of wonderrful smelling leaf compost and worms - great for the border.

08/11/2013 at 16:02

I do the same as gardening granny.

08/11/2013 at 23:01

I collect leaves with the mower and bag them. Last years bags were emptied into a bin made of pallets.Theis years bags are on top of this. Not sure if it will work but hope to add this to the compost bins eventually.

08/11/2013 at 23:07

I tried the black sack method last year; had a peep a few weeks ago - top half were dry & crispy, bottom half were sodden, so gave them a shake. Had lots of holes in the bag too.

This year I have an old plastic baker's crate, so it's open like a mesh cage would be. I'll see how that works. 

09/11/2013 at 21:06

I had leaves in black bags and old recycle bins this year and kept checking the recycle bins, as the level lowered I topped them up with leaves from the black bags. Each time the recylce bins were checked I gave the leaves a good scrunching and shake to break up the leaves and distribute the moisture, the top layer was often dry, bottom layer wet. 

I spread the mould on a veg bed a few weeks ago, it hadn't completely broken down but open to the elements it has now. I've done the same for a couple of years now with no problems.

I found, each time the bins were checked, tree seeds had germinated and picked out what could be seen.

12/11/2013 at 09:16

Thanks everyone!

12/11/2013 at 12:45

i use the bin bag way . eight bags waiting to go on the beds now.  geting lots more  this year . from  the local paths

email image
10 messages