1 to 20 of 29 messages
29/06/2014 at 00:32
For some time now, my computer has been playing up. Running ahead of itself then lagging behind. Silly realy, as I have had a brand new Acer in the cupboard for the past two years. I know my way around plants etc and mechanics and engineering, but computers. No way. So yours truly will be trotting off to the repair man. To transfer everything across. Please believe me. My short time on this forum has been great. I have made so many new friends and shared so much. However. I must be honest, despite any sensitivity on my part. Perhaps during the fixing time, I might be able to decide whetherornot to return to the forum. Believe me. There is so much love and concern here. Whatever. I wish you all well. Please continue to enjoy your gardens and may your GOD GO WITH YOU. Much Love. Mike. xx
Edd
29/06/2014 at 01:14
I remember life before the computers.

Memory was something you lost with age.
An application was for employment.
A program was a TV show.
A cursor was profanity.
A keyboard was a piano!
A web was a spiders home.
A virus was the flu!
A hard drive was a long trip on the road.
A mouse pad was where a mouse lived.

And if you had a 3 and a half inch floppy . You just hoped nobody found out!
29/06/2014 at 06:08
Love it Edd!
This forum would be poorer wothout you Mike best wishes x
29/06/2014 at 08:05
I hope you do return to the forum. I have learnt a lot from your posts. I think of you as the father I lost back in 1976 when I was sweet 16. He was a very keen gardener, keeping the garden as a place suitable for us ( 4 children and a dog ) to play, and growing all our veg on the allotment.
I remember spending many happy hours there with him, until his health deteriorated to the point where he couldn't keep up with the hard work it involved. I was only 11 then and being at school couldn't spare enough time to keep it going.
We bought him a greenhouse then and he used to potter in there sitting on a chair.
If you decide not to return I will miss you and your wealth of knowledge, but the decision must be yours.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
29/06/2014 at 08:38
Come on Mike. You won't leave us now. If you do it will be because you choose to. Don't always agree with you.......I'm argumentative with anyone and anything....but always read your posts.
The computer? Wouldn't.....couldn't ...be without it. So useful, so convenient and such a fantastic communication tool. I can't spend hours on it ....I would be bored....but, esp with the iPad, has replaced reading the newspaper at brekkie for example.
Sorting out business stuff can be done in minutes on the computer. Arranging meetings, deliveries, purchases, emails, photos, etc etc
I would certainly miss not having my computer
Mike, get yours fixed pronto.
29/06/2014 at 08:46
Mike, i only have my phone now for the internet, but i wouldnt be without it, at the moment im lying on the sofa, trying to summon the energy to cook breakfast, but can talk to you guys at the same time
29/06/2014 at 08:48
Bekkie, enjoy your brekkie ......
29/06/2014 at 12:41
Mike,I won't beg you not to leave as its undignified. However I will ask you not to...you have a vast library of knowledge stored in that head of yours and this forum simply wouldn't be the same without you in it.

As Verdun says,get your operating system transferred over to your new comp or get an OS upgrade if you can afford it. Once you've done that,come right back here and continue posting. oo er that sounded a bit bossy :-P
29/06/2014 at 15:35
Mike???? NO! Really??? You could manage without any more virtual hugs?? That's all I'm saying on the matter ((hugs)) xx
29/06/2014 at 16:06
Mike, you must come back when you get your new computer sorted out - what would we do without you?
29/06/2014 at 16:13
Mike......you are an adult and therefore able to make a reasoned decision.
I don't think it is really up to other forum members to persuade you one way or another.
If your decision is based partly on your recent medical problems, then perhaps you should wait until you are back on an even keel and then decide?
If based on some recent posts, I would suggest that we all get "knockbacks" from time to time......whether we feel they are deserved or not.
The internet has opened up a lot to us but also in some instances has given us the false impression that "cyber" friends are the same as personal friends.
You are quite right in thinking that you have made a lot of friends on this forum but it isn't always quite the same thing.
Of course, some members are able to meet up and get to know each other face to face but the rest of us can only "know" each other through our postings.....we can be serious, funny, argumentative, chatty, in a bad mood, tired, etc. etc. All of these moods can be detected fairly easily between friends or even acquaintances but in cyber space you only have the actual text......even the use of emoticons can not always convey the context of a post.
You obviously belong to other forums so forgive me if I sound as if I am preaching or trying to teach my grandmother (wrong sex and not old enough I realise but you get my drift ).
It would be a pity to stop using the forum whilst you enjoy it but the decision must be yours and not coloured by other's wishes. Whatever you decide , I certainly don't think you should lose any sleep over it.
PS....I would have used emoticons within this message but they've gone missing ...however, I'm sure you will be able to stick the appropriate ones in the appropriate places...........smiley !
29/06/2014 at 16:17
ED........enjoyed your take on Life Before Computers.......not sure about the floppy disc tho.........LOL
Lyn
29/06/2014 at 21:31
You said that when you had trouble on the other forum you frequent but you are still posting.
I dont like goodbye blogs unless you are really going, and then it is more dignified just to go, not do the sympathy bit. So will you go? Probably not.
29/06/2014 at 22:12
Not necessary

Mike - hope you stay, but as Philippa says, respect your decision.
29/06/2014 at 23:30
Remember a girlfriend once.....always saying goodbye, again and again and again. She would phone ro say goodbye, write to say goodbye and drop in to say goodbye. Always felt like singing Pete and Dud's goodbye song

Mike knows we like him here but he also knows he will stay. We all respect his difficulties at the moment and have empathy for him but nobody will beg anyone to stay.
30/06/2014 at 08:03

Why the drama Mike? Why would you consider leaving the forum because your computer is down? I had everything transferred to a new computer and it took the guy 30 minutes.

30/06/2014 at 08:06

Think Mike's world has been rocked to its foundations and he feels uncertain about lots of things at the moment - hopefully he'll be feeling much more like himself very soon 

30/06/2014 at 08:58

Mike, computer replacement, goodbye.....I really don't get it. There probably isn't one amongst us who haven't had computer glitches over time.

However, we can only respect your decision and wish you well. 

30/06/2014 at 09:21

David, With everything Mike has been through in the last few months he probably thinks that his computer throwing a wobbly is the last straw. I know I can feel like that sometimes and I haven't had any where near the problems he has had. 

I hope he gets through them.

I hope he doesn't leave the site as I will miss him and his posts, ( see my earlier post. ) but if he does I wish him well.

30/06/2014 at 09:58

Maybe, Pauline.....but I can do no more than respect is decision and wish him well.

1 to 20 of 29 messages