Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Copper tape

janet176janet176 Posts: 11

I believe if you stick copper tape around the top of tubs it deters slugs and snails. Has anyone tried it and does it work?  

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    It works until the copper oxidises after about ,6 months

You can renew the surface with wire wool.

Its expensive , I'd try Vaseline instead
  • royd63kroyd63k Posts: 63

I find copper tape works well even after tainting

Roy

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

I've just purchased some from Range, 4 metres worth £2.50, you can order it off their website or use Wilko's also cheaper. Trying this in addition to nematodes (seems to be doing wonders so far) & nightly patrols with the salt shaker image Plus try to attract more birds (blackbirds & thrushes), frogs, toads & hedgehogs to your garden. 

• Tray14Tray14 Posts: 210

Works for me - been on for about 3 years and still looks good ( on the pots I mean - not on me!)

• janet176janet176 Posts: 11

Thanks everyone. I will try some and also go out on patrol with my Davey Lamp on my head and see what I can find image

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491

Gosh, 4 metres for £2.50 is a good buy, I've been paying about £5 a roll - pity we don't have a Wilko near us.

North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

You can buy it online for a fraction of the garden centre price and it will work for years, even if it goes a funny colour. I also cut down plastic pots so that the bottom is gone and put a strip of tape round the rim. These are placed over young plants and pushed into the soil a couple of inches. It gives the young shoots a chance to get started.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491

Hi aym280,  I too grow delphiniums and have found that sharp grit helps to keep slugs and snails off better than anything else - and works in the rain as well.

I am though trying the liquid slug killer recommended by a friend to kill the ones in the soil, will wait and see what happens.

North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • Kia-MenaKia-Mena Posts: 16

Poundland sell 2m rolls of copper tape and it seems very effective so far ...