Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cost of the hobby of gardening per year?.

A few of my gardening friends were discussing cost of keeping allotments.How prices had risen in the last 10years.Mind Boggling.But still worth it!!!

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

How much do your friends pay Brian?

• Plant itPlant it Posts: 155

Forester2.Over the past 10 years my allotment cost plus seeds plus compost not including my labour I give that for the pleasure of doing it.The cost has risen 60percent.Thats not bovine excretment.

My allotment costs me £12.00 a year - that is a very basic village/country plot with no facilities except one tap between all of us and not allowed to have a shed either. Having said that it is very relaxed and friendly with only very basic rules and regulations.

Does your rent per year include water charges? Forester2 if it does its a bargain. Having not been able to have a shed is unfortunate but as me grandad used to say. Tha canrt have  everething in life can tha. He was a Yorkie as well.Regards Brian.

Yes Brian it does include water but as there is only one tap between us all, use is very limited and trudging several hundred feet carrying watering cans is very tiring.  I have a water butt, but the contents don't seem to go very far.  Having said that I do seem to get reasonable crops just relying on what comes from the heavens.

Philippa - the fee for your potential plot is incredibly cheap.

Forester2 are you allowed a hose pipe from the tap to your plot?Worth checking on.Philippa you have an allotment costing you 20pence a week a lettuce in Tesco will cost you a fortune. Good on yer lass best O luck.Regards Brian.

• lucky buggers, still waiting for mineimage

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

wish i could get allotment,been on waiting list 3 years, up from number 45 to 43..woohoo!neighbour has one,apparently all sorts of cash changes hands if you want one and an existing holder wants to sell, v sad,would love to get children into growing veg, only got room for few tomatoes and herbs here

• I wouldn't dare keep count!!!!

• I live in Saddleworth (Oldham area) and have a large garden with some veg plots - probably at least the size of a standard allotment. Also have a greenhouse and electricity and water.

Due to an illness I wont be growing much this year so it's available to anyone who wants to use it. I only ask for a few veg if there's any left !!