Start a new thread

1 to 15 of 15 replies

Why are our crocosmia not flowering we have divided them up 3 years ago and have had only one flower they look healthy enough in a deep bed with the sun on them for 80% of the time soil is nuteral.

Awkward b...  .s crocosmia, at least for me. Lots of leaves but on some, especially Lucifer, little flower power.

That wasn't much help was it but I sympathise

Peter..........for me, .they like a shallow soil..........maybe that is the problem?

Peter,if this is their third year since dividing they might this year flower well.  They grow everywhere here but I think sun and good drainage are important.  I would give them a generous application of fish blood and bone lightly tickled in.  Careful you don't damage new shoots

Bit of a tangent, but why are the corms of a Crocosmia so expensive, especially when it is so prolific and spreads everywhere so easily?  They can be as much as £5 for 5 corms.  Quite shocking really.

Tim....I could think of other similar plants that are vastly over priced.  

Its part of the Saffron Crocus (Crocus sativus) family (i think) and you know how expensive that is.

a friend's grandad told me to put tomato feed on everything for flowers-worth a try?

20 mixed Crocosmia bulbs in Poundland for the grand sum of £1

I have been reading about people killing their excess crocosmias with weed killer. Sounds quite barbaric really! I have dug up the bulbs ( february) and am giving them away on line at my local freecycle site ...

Mine took over the garden. The orange variety and the lucifer. They were planted in every nook and cranny by the previous owner. I had a path I didn't know was there, completely covered by them. The corms just grew on top of the slate. They never ever saw soil and they flowered really well. I cannot stress this enough. Do not feed them anything. I'm literally digging them up by the sack load. Huge breeze block sized solid masses of corms. I have given them to just about everyone I know. Dumped sacks of them in  garden waste section of the local recycle centre. I've tried weedkiller, still they grow. I even tried burning them, but they survived the fire. I wish I was being dramatic.

They do that here in West Dorset if you let' em.  Difficult if they get in among gladioli!!

Mine don't flower well. I think it's because I have really good loamy soil, previous owner was a prize chrysanth grower and was very fussy over the quality of his soil.  I have a patch of lucifer that grows quite well near some conifers where the soil is poorer so I suspect that is the problem.

Maureen Janson

Too much nitrogen causes excessive leaf growth and few to no flowers

Lunaria isnt that ironic, I bought pots of new ones last year "in the green" dont seem to have much luck with bulbs, perhaps you could have a dig your own for free day! I put in 3 varieties, including one that likes shade, where there is a patch of the old fashioned orange montbretia type.