London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 4°C
14 messages
27/07/2014 at 07:49

Good morning,

I am a relative new gardener and I'm wanting to know how to take a cutting from a hydrangea and when is the best time to do this xxx

27/07/2014 at 07:54

Hi 

This video shows you how to do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60M1eSDXdJY , but I also find that hydrangeas will develop roots in a vase of water at this time of year, then you can pot them up and they'll grow on quite happily if you keep them in a cool and sheltered place. 

27/07/2014 at 09:40

Morning Maxine

Not water for me.    Never valued that treatment. 

However, they are so easy to take ........do it now. I look for longish material, maybe 4" or more, ideally without any flower buds.  I remove most leaves....all of them except for the very top.  Then cut big leaves in half leaving tiny ones. Insert  7 or 9 cuttings round the rim of a pot of mpc...I add perlite to the mix.....water well, cover with polythene bag and seal with elastic band.  Place in shady spot.  3 or 4 weeks should produce rooted plants. 

27/07/2014 at 09:42
Verdun wrote (see)

Morning Maxine

Not water for me.    Never valued that treatment. 

It's not something I've done intentionally Verdun, but when Nature does a bit of propagation for you it'd be rude to ignore it 

27/07/2014 at 13:14

Indeedy  

27/07/2014 at 14:16

Everyone keeps says how easy it is to take cuttings and I'm going to try lavender ones, is it really that easy?

27/07/2014 at 14:40

Course it is OL.....

Some things are easier than others - you only have to stick 'em into any old soil and pot and they'll root - like Buddleias. I do the same with Verb. bonariensis - I damaged a few when transplanting them a while ago - I just trimmed back the broken pieces (as Verd describes above) and stuck them in little pots of gritty compost out of the direct sun. They're needing potted on now.  Nice gritty medium for Lavender - it's a while since I've had lavender, but I don't think you'd use the poly bags - someone will correct me if that's wrong though. Cut below a joint and trim most of the foliage away to leave just a bit at the top.  You can put quite a lot round the edge of a pot and they should root pretty quickly at this time of year. Just keep them in a sheltered spot, not too hot and sunny, and don't let them get dried out completely. Pot them up individually once they've got new growth. Apologies if I've missed anything obvious. 

31/07/2014 at 17:28

All my cuttings seem to fail to be honest. 

31/07/2014 at 17:38

Maxine.....don't despair...........I've been taking cutting for years..........not all of them take by any means

Gradually, the more you do it, the easier it will become.  Take a note of what you have done in what medium and then you can compare your results and alter your methods accordingly

31/07/2014 at 18:48

Thinking back years ago when I was starting out, I think my main problem with cuttings was to take them too soft. I find cutting are more doable when they have a bit of substance about them ie semi-ripe. Then it is getting the balance between coolness and dampness. Always use some sharp sand in your compost or perlite/vermiculite to give a well drained medium, then sit them in a warm shady spot, making sure they are kept dampish. If you want one cutting, take half a dozen. I have found no great difference between clay and  plastic pots and using/not using hormone rooting powder. The more cuttings you take, the more successful you will be. Practise makes perfect !

31/07/2014 at 19:11

Think that's right hogweed.  With grey/silver foliage I try to keep cuttings wet, compost wet initially, and glass jar over them,imsfead of polythene if I can 

31/07/2014 at 19:23

Hi Maxine, Ive never taken cuttings before but I did take three penstemon cuttings this year and two have taken and have now been potted on.  I actually used some alpine soil that I had which is of course very light and it worked a treat.

31/07/2014 at 19:33

I'm with the cut off a non-flowering branch and stick that cutting in water group. Should root within a few weeks.

01/08/2014 at 06:17

Thanks guys xxx

email image
14 messages