London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
7 messages
20/02/2014 at 12:50

I have a large water butt that has cracked at the bottom on the upward curve. What can I do to repair it as I don't want to throw it away.  It's the largest one I have so any advice would be great.

I have heard that you can get large durable plastic bags to fit  - does anyone know of this?

Thanks

Edd
20/02/2014 at 13:15

It all depends on how big the crack is.

If it is not too big then you can drilling a small hole at each end of the crack to stop it getting any bigger then use silicone bath sealant. Cut a bandage to length and coat it with the sealant then smear over the crack and smooth over. It does not look aesthetically pleasing but it does the job.

20/02/2014 at 17:00

Edd, you are soooo practical That's a brilliant solution.

20/02/2014 at 18:17

You might find a hot glue gun would do a reasonable repair too. Depends on what your butt is made of and how old. Make sure the area is "very" clean before you try any repair especially if we are talking plastic.

23/02/2014 at 13:27

Thanks for the tips, I will have a go at repair when the weather gets drier.

23/02/2014 at 13:31

trillium's right - sandpaper the area a little, to get a key, as well before you apply anything 'sticky'.

23/02/2014 at 14:12

Also, a repair done on the inside will be infinitely better than one done to the outside because the water pressure will push against the inner repair 'patch' and actually help seal it, whereas one done on the outside will have to fight against the pressure so will completely rely on the 'stickiness' of the substance used to effect the repair.  More difficult to apply though unless you (or a little helper) can squeeze inside to do it.  Trillium is right about cleanliness - whatever you try, empty and clean the butt before allowing it to dry in a shed etc for a few days.  Any dampness in the crack area will ruin any attempted repair.

email image
7 messages