London (change)
Today 13°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
12 messages
02/10/2013 at 23:27

Did any of you see the item in this mornings papers regarding the finding of Legionella bugs in bags of commercial compost - the University of Strathclyde tested 22 brands, and found evidence of the bug in 14. Apparently five gardeners have been infected since August.

Advice is that when handling bags of compost you should wear gloves, and avoid breathing in the dust - suggestion is that you moisten the compost first.

Whilst we shouldn't panic, all gardeners should be aware of the potential dangers of handling compost and manure, especially with bare hands - the risk of blood poisoning is ever-present if you have an open injury on your exposed body.

02/10/2013 at 23:54

I remember reading something similar last year.  Worrying  

Slightly different but I had  to take my old mum to docs today.  On a previnous visit I noticed a lack of antibacterial,hand wash available there so I asked why.  The receptionist proudly replied she has some behind the counter for herself,and her colleagues.  I said, ok,,but what about us?  Today the situation remains the same except for a mass of leaflets warning us about noro virus, etc and the need to wash our hands.  I told the doc there should be a hand wash in the waiting area and he promised it would be done.  Docs' surgeries are perfect breeding places for bugs so why the apathy? 

Infection is everywhere......if we have an,open wound when handling composts, etc we need to be aware.  I am aware of the need to be protected as much as possible by regular washing of hands but, surprisingly, most people are not.

03/10/2013 at 00:00

.........and bags of perlite too are of concern.  Be careful when handling it  because of the fine dust that exists as part of it.  It gets into your lungs and could be an issue.  I keep perlite outside now where the moisture in the air reduces this  dust.  

03/10/2013 at 00:10

Been wearing gloves when gardening since Adam was a lad. Whilst compost may contain all sorts of nastie's and can be good for the garden it does nothing for your nails.

Like secatars, having a selection of gloves is a priority, chipped nail's is the last thing you want after a day in the garden following a manicure.

I don't want to make light of your posting but if suppliers of compost are selling stuff which is harmful then rather than including a government health warning shouldn't the suppliers be challenged instead of the purchaser!   

03/10/2013 at 00:58

........Very good point about perlite, Verdun!

03/10/2013 at 09:52

aAcouple of months ago, handling compost with gloves on, I was bitten by something on my wrist. Naturally I scratched the area without thinking, effectively rubbing compost into the broken skin and by the next morning by hand was like five fat cumberland sausages attached to a haggis. And then it got bigger and bigger and a few hours later I was in A & E having intravenous antibiotics. Just a nasty case of cellulitis and I suppose any dirt getting into the subcutaneous level of your skin could do it but the fact it was compost has definitely made me more aware and careful.

03/10/2013 at 10:15

A manicure!

03/10/2013 at 10:23

I think that there is a good case for all compost to be sterilized before we buy it.

03/10/2013 at 11:05

i thought it was sterilized fidget????

so then gardeners world are now going to start wearing gloves and highlight this risk to those are not so knowledgable about composts etc?

i always wear gloves and dig my fingernails into soap before hand to stop dirt.. i keep my compost in big old black dustbin.. ao it keeps moister anyway..

but it is scary but then on other hand.. compost has been round long time and it would be nice if they told us what brand these people effected used..

and yes verdun you are right.. many people dont wash their hands for the whole day.. i wsh mine regularly and make my kids also.. maybe that is why me never catch teh stomach bugs that go round the school all the time..

03/10/2013 at 11:10

Looking at what germinated out of some of the brands of compost this year, there is no way they were sterile. The recycled stuff had not got hot enough to kill weed seeds let alone pathogenic bacteria.

08/10/2013 at 21:24

Was watching Dad's Army, Mr Godfrey said on it, a gentleman always wears "white gloves"!

Only problem, my white gloves have rubber dimples on the palms and fingers!

08/10/2013 at 21:36
Must try that gardeningfanatic , soap in fingernails before starting. will do.
Also use play dough after to clean up stubborn stains on nails as well. Please wash first of course.
email image
12 messages