London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
7 messages
Edd
23/04/2014 at 23:39

Hi.

Some cypress spurge accidental fell into the the bucket that i was carrying when out up the wood the other day. I was not sure what it was at first but it fitted my needs (if you know what i mean).

I must admit it is perfect for the boarder between yellow and green, but after i got back and looked it up i find that it is very invasive and illegal in some states of America as a weed.    Can i take cuttings (yes i can) and plant the whole plant in a sunken container in a boarder to stop it getting overgrown? I think they have long tap roots???( from yellow to green) or am i just asking for trouble, when it seeds??? Is there a similar plant that i can use instead??   I need yellow to green and then green to blue in colour as its a rainbow boarder and it must be free of £££( As i have already spent £2 pound for fertiliser (BFB) on this forgotten border. )   Spread sheet of colours ( R,O,Y,G,B,I,V) and seeds to show will follow. All from this site with kind thanks, to all. Its nice to be nice, for other people even if i have made it my own project for someone else.

Thanks to all again.

Regards

Edd.

24/04/2014 at 07:46

Edd check out euporbia Polychroma.  This is a neat non invasive plant producing....now starting.....wonderful mounds of acid yellow/green flowers.  Ok, it doesn't fit your criteria of being free but I would hesitate to plant invasive stuff.  

From green to blue how about elymus magellanicus a glaucous evergreen grass.  More blue than green in sun and vice versa in shadier spots.  The pinks have a similar colour foliage in flowers from white to red to purple.  

If in doubt simply do not plant anything remotely invasive 

24/04/2014 at 09:18

There is invasive and then INVASIVE. Many invasive plants are very easy to control by simply pulling up the unwanted plants. Some however are much more difficult. I am not sure where the Cypres spurge fits.

Edd
24/04/2014 at 14:16

Thanks very much Verdun. euporbia Polychroma is exactly what i am looking for.

Regards

Edd.

24/04/2014 at 16:03

24/04/2014 at 18:57

Are you sure it's cypress spurge? The usual one to find in a wood would be Wood Spurge, Euphorbia amygdaloides. Cypress spurge is not a British wild plant, just a fairly rare garden escape. Wood spurge is also a bit invasive, but quite easy to pull out.

Edd
25/04/2014 at 08:57

Thanks Landgirl100. 

Yes i think it could be Wood Spurge. It looks very similar, but then again they all look very similar. There is a new (ish) estate next to the wood and it is growing on that side so it could be a escapee from there.

It has the longer flatter leaves with older leaf stem below and the lighter new growth on top. I will try and get a photo next time i am there. They pulled out quite easily but snapped off at the base rather than pulling the root system out.

Regards

Edd.

email image
7 messages