Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

Edd

Hi.

Some cypress spurge accidental fell into the the bucket that i was carrying when out up the wood the other day. I was not sure what it was at first but it fitted my needs (if you know what i mean).

I must admit it is perfect for the boarder between yellow and green, but after i got back and looked it up i find that it is very invasive and illegal in some states of America as a weed.    Can i take cuttings (yes i can) and plant the whole plant in a sunken container in a boarder to stop it getting overgrown? I think they have long tap roots???( from yellow to green) or am i just asking for trouble, when it seeds??? Is there a similar plant that i can use instead??   I need yellow to green and then green to blue in colour as its a rainbow boarder and it must be free of £££( As i have already spent £2 pound for fertiliser (BFB) on this forgotten border. )   Spread sheet of colours ( R,O,Y,G,B,I,V) and seeds to show will follow. All from this site with kind thanks, to all. Its nice to be nice, for other people even if i have made it my own project for someone else.

Thanks to all again.

Regards

Edd.

Edd check out euporbia Polychroma.  This is a neat non invasive plant producing....now starting.....wonderful mounds of acid yellow/green flowers.  Ok, it doesn't fit your criteria of being free but I would hesitate to plant invasive stuff.  

From green to blue how about elymus magellanicus a glaucous evergreen grass.  More blue than green in sun and vice versa in shadier spots.  The pinks have a similar colour foliage in flowers from white to red to purple.  

If in doubt simply do not plant anything remotely invasive 

punkdoc

There is invasive and then INVASIVE. Many invasive plants are very easy to control by simply pulling up the unwanted plants. Some however are much more difficult. I am not sure where the Cypres spurge fits.

Edd

Thanks very much Verdun. euporbia Polychroma is exactly what i am looking for.

Regards

Edd.

Advertisement

Are you sure it's cypress spurge? The usual one to find in a wood would be Wood Spurge, Euphorbia amygdaloides. Cypress spurge is not a British wild plant, just a fairly rare garden escape. Wood spurge is also a bit invasive, but quite easy to pull out.

Edd

Thanks Landgirl100. 

Yes i think it could be Wood Spurge. It looks very similar, but then again they all look very similar. There is a new (ish) estate next to the wood and it is growing on that side so it could be a escapee from there.

It has the longer flatter leaves with older leaf stem below and the lighter new growth on top. I will try and get a photo next time i am there. They pulled out quite easily but snapped off at the base rather than pulling the root system out.

Regards

Edd.