Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

daughters new garden

archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

this is my daughters (alex) new house and garden . and ideas folks we .plan to regrass the top and deck the lower garden area.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I'd be desperate to cover all that fencing with climbers asap and stick a couple of hardy shrubs in

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

the fence has been painted the (grass) strimmed and limestone removed sara 4... you got in one .thats what she wants pots raised bed for a few veg  climbers om the fence. bar b que and clay oven . bins will be at the side of the house.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Looks like some hard work is coming your daughters way but if it's a first garden, what a good size.

It's always nice to start with a blank canvas. Decking is very popular but needs maintaining and can get slimy and slippy in wet weather and we've had plenty of that recently. I suggest flagging the area near to the house. If budget allows go with decking, with a glass canopy over it. This means with table and chairs, the garden can be enjoyed come rain or shine, throughout the seasons and becomes an extra room.  

Is your daughter a keen gardener, have children, does she want a low maintenance garden, would she consider growing fruit and veg? A herb bed is a must for anyone who likes cooking.   

my daughter is keen to learn as is the son in law . but granpas doing most of the graft  at the moment  had  a week off . oh and we have cleared the front garden as well . thanks for your thoughts .

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

I did a makeover on my daughter's very narrow 2 1/2m wide garden a few years ago. It's grown a lot more now with bushier plants and roses on the arch.

My daughter's garden is very shady especially on the left. I removed all the grass and weeds, dug it, added compost and organic fertiliser and re-sowed the grass. I made a zig-zag path to make it wider - but your daughter's garden is wider. You don't state the aspect or type of soil, which would be good to know when planning.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

Here is the before pic. I had sent it but it's vanished!

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

BL, as someone who has just moved from a tiny terraced yard that is a triumph!!!

Archie & Alex, how lovely to have family who will help with the hard work, and hopefully be able to enjoy sitting out there with everyone to enjoy it image

I second a roof of some sort - I love sitting out in a sheltered corner with a good book when it's raining - it's a sort of magic image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

the garage is be made in to  a rain  shelter . taking the side out and puting in two relcalimed pillers 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Archiepem good job done there. Just wondered is it a watering can job or hosepipe? Wanted to check daughter has an outside tap/ water butt. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Archiepem - brilliant idea image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.