London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
9 messages
09/03/2014 at 08:45

I moved into a new home in December 2012. The developer laid the new lawn two weeks before when the weather was wet,windy and cold. To encourage growth through the winter he laid it on top of fertiliser. During the lovely summer we had I was having to cut the lawn once a week and after each cut I would treat the lawn with after cut It looked amazing all lush green and striped. And to know the winter, the lawn is completely soaking, patchy and yellow it has went from the best looking to the worst. Not being much of a green fingered type can some one advise me how and if it will recover. I am now thinking I may have over fed the lawn during the summer months.

09/03/2014 at 11:13

You may well have overfed the lawn from what you say. Over feeding produces lots of lush growth and weak root growth.

The wet conditions we have had will have weakened the roots.

Laying a new lawn on top of what was basically a building site is asking for trouble as the soil will contain too much building waste.

Builders aren't gardeners usually.

I would give it a few weeks, especially now the weather has improved, but if the lawn doesn't recover, I'd be tempted to start again.

In the how to section there are plenty of instructions on getting a new lawn started.

You may have to dig the whole lot and remove the rubble, and improve the soil at the same time.

There's plenty of advice available here, so you will get plenty of help.

09/03/2014 at 11:31

I'd agree with Dave, Raymond. It's a common problem with builders and new houses. It's what's underneath the grass that determines  how it will perform and if that's not brilliant it's always going to be difficult to keep it looking right. The fact that they added fertiliser to the ground before laying the turf tells the story. There should have been a good layer of soil instead. Adding fertiliser at that point has just given you a false, temporary result and the yellow patches indicate the poor root growth Dave mentions.  Give it a chance to dry out and then take it from there. If it's only compacted rather than the soil base being inadequate, you can spike it to give drainage holes, which you then fill with grit or coarse sand and that may be enough to improve it. Then you need to be a little bit meaner with the food! 

09/03/2014 at 11:32

Hi Raymond 

Can you post a pic or two on here to show us?  To post a photo click on the little green tree icon in the toolbar above where you type your post and follow the instructions 

09/03/2014 at 12:07
Builders are great at window dressing but they do leave a lot of rubbish in the garden. I once found turf laid straight onto window glass that had been abandoned......didn't grow too well. Its always worth investigating what's underneath if only to make sure that it isn't something sharp.
10/03/2014 at 19:13

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39257.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

This is the picture of my lawn thanks everyone for your replies to this.

10/03/2014 at 19:15

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39258.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

10/03/2014 at 19:26

Yes Raymond - that looks like 'Builder's Turf' alright 

It doesn't look too happy does it? It looks very soggy and compacted. I'd be inclined to leave it a few weeks to see if it dries out a bit because walking on it just now will only make it worse. Once it's a bit drier then you could begin improving  the drainage etc. and also see if there's any new growth. If it's not a huge area, it might be worth lifting a bit and seeing what's underneath but, if it was me, I'd give it a few weeks and assess it then. You might even get away with aerating (spiking it well) then putting some topsoil and compost  on and re seeding.

10/03/2014 at 19:53

It looks like you have got a 'postman's path' . If there is any way you can discourage the postman from taking his short cut this will help a bit.

email image
9 messages