London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
21/11/2012 at 11:14

Every year it is with excitement that we unwrapped the cellophane of the December issue to view the following year's (free) Calendar. For years now, this has been has had pride of place on the kitchen's noticeboard. However, the 'recession' has, like Ash die-back, affected the once magestic Calendar - it's got smaller. Titchy.

We would gladly pay an extra £2.00 for the December issue if the publishers would revert back to the size of the 2012 (and prior) Calendar for the next year's printing (2014 Calendar).

Sorry, GW Publishers, you've made a mistake this year with the size reduction.

21/11/2012 at 11:33

I agree. Felt really disappointed this morning

. Have always hung the calender so that the lovely photos can be seen, 2013 is too small. Us gardeners do use them for writing on. I guess looking at the spaces I will no longer be able to write what I have done ie seeds sown on it. Just too small.

21/11/2012 at 14:16

It's like the chocolate bars - they now make them smaller and keep the price the same to try and fool us

21/11/2012 at 14:18

There is one day less in 2013 than 2012-it was bound to be smaller

21/11/2012 at 14:25

21/11/2012 at 15:27
But.........it's FREE
21/11/2012 at 19:41

Got a really nice good sized wildlife calendar in one of the pound shops last year so will be looking out for them again .

21/11/2012 at 20:05

For me, the size is fine but I think the quotes spoil the lovely photographs!

22/11/2012 at 09:33

Thank you for the feedback. The majority of the responses are "too small".

Perhaps, INTERMEDIA and GW Editor could revert back to its previous size and reduce the nefarious text/copy printed on it?

22/11/2012 at 09:56

I am so disappointed in the calendar, and the quality of the paper in the magazine this month . It would be better to pay more than have this loss of quality . I also feel there are far too many advertisements in relation to the gardening features !

22/11/2012 at 11:26
I only occasionally buy gardeners world mag but always do for the calendar. Judging by the remarks here it doesn't seem worthwhile this year. Prob go out and buy decent one
22/11/2012 at 11:28
...I would like a gardening magazine that's more than just the basics, that's a deeper read and that focuses on PLANTS. Does such a magazine exist?
22/11/2012 at 12:32

I bought Grow Your Own this week , Never seen it before and was impressed by the amount of content and detail

22/11/2012 at 17:35

I started a thread about the calendar in the potting shed. It is still a lovely calendar and the pictures are beautiful, it was the size that took me by surprise. Like Verdun says, it is free so thumbs up for that.

29/11/2012 at 12:30

Thank you for your feedback.

20/03/2013 at 19:03

We were very dissapointed with the size of the calendar.  Please bring back the old larger size.  Is this a sign of the changes after BBC selling the title?

Peter Jones

30/11/2013 at 18:07

I no longer subscribe to GW but always make a point of buying Dec. issue for the calendar - except this year! Firstly, I couldn't find it - no plastic bag or cardboard band around the mag, erm.. its inside, part of and  attached to the mag. itself. Secondly, what a disappointment - paper quality is poor and therefore the picture quality is poor. I'll be spending my money on a decent calendar instead...maybe I'll go for a Countryfile one  - its for a great cause and I assume is good quality. Any experiences?

30/11/2013 at 18:24

Ditto Daimtiness

I subscribe to,the RHS magazine but looked to get gardeners world mag simply for the calendar.  It looks pretty ordinary...maybe fit for computer room.....so will look elsewhere.  

Obviously the creators of gardeners world mag have disregarded our views of last year and produced the same thing again   ( can't believe where this year has gone)

30/11/2013 at 18:42

I've got my GW calendar in my hand - I had no problem finding it - there it was in the magazine   I can discern no difference in size or paper quality from last year other than that the front and back covers are more matt than previously - the photos for each month have a glossy finish, and they're the pictures we'll be looking at, not the cover.  

It came free with a magazine - I think it's a bargain. 

You pay £9 for the Countryfile calendar of which "at least" £4 goes to Children in Need - from which I deduce that the calendar costs approximately £5.

Personally speaking, I'd rather give CIN £9, buy my GW magazine as usual and enjoy both the magazine and a free calendar. 

30/11/2013 at 18:51

I need my big year planner in the hall to keep up with where I am. One with plant pics on it would be lovely. I haven't seen one yet

1 to 20 of 29 messages