Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Delphiniums and Lupins

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I have had some Delphs for at least 5 years. You can take cuttings in early spring for growing on for the following year. I don't seem to have many problems with slugs on them, though if it is a new plant I put pellets down for the first few weeks. image

• Chris 25Chris 25 Posts: 50

Hi Chrissieb , delphinimum's will on average last about 4/5 years i have known some to last 7 years.

Lupins can last many many years depending on location

mine up here in Scotland are 8 years old stand in the region of 6 foot hire

although they are loved by slugs ,snails if you put a layer of washed  gravel around the base they are free from the evil munchers, don't forget collect the seed, after the flowering season and start fresh plants in pots and grow them on for new plants for yourself or friends and family image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ightenighten Posts: 184

Lupins I replace one or two every year so you always have some established mixed with the new.. I think at a guess this makes them have a life of around 4 years to 5 max in my garden.. I find after that they get too big with a lack of flowers compared to the size of the plant...

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

These are nine years old this year.  I didn't really get round to feeding them, but they are still good despite the neglect. 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

BusyB, those are lovelyimage

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409
    Second that Busy - those are luuuuuuuverly image
  • Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005
    Thanks guys! I didn't know they had a lifespan. If I am honest, they have, in the past, been better than this, but I just put it down to not getting round to feeding them this year as I usually do - bottom leaves got a bit yellow. But I have been reading about taking basal cuttings and will try that next year. Also, I have grown some more from seed this year which are still in pots and which I might plant in the autumn or next spring (there seemed to be opposing views on this matter on another thread). If there is any secret to their longevity I would guess that they like a very free-draining environment, as I don't tend to lose tulips in these beds either. Did you all see the glorious delphiniums on GW last night? I love an Edwardian garden, and noticed that they had been teamed with alchemilla mollis, which has happened by happy accident here too!
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409
    Saw GW too - really enjoyed the Arts and Crafts garden - my favourite sort of style (and plenty of blues imageimage )