London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
21 to 32 of 32 messages
01/03/2013 at 18:48

There have been some scientific studies which show that specific bacteria in the soil may be a mood enhancer, and exposure to it can lift our spirits.  Now I know why I love to get my hands in the soil (don't like hearing it called dirt)

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/mood-boosting-bacteria-found-dirt-213800904.html

01/03/2013 at 19:30
CazW, I think there's something about getting your hands in the soil, being in the fresh air and thinking about, and working with, plants that is good for depression. We all get depressed don't we but it's great escapism in the garden
01/03/2013 at 19:32
My OH commented today I'm so happy in the garden ...like a pig in muck amongst the plants and soil, cant bear to come back in even if can hardly see

Natures healer
01/03/2013 at 19:50

What moving stories! Thank you all for sharing. Like everyone, I have had my share of griefs and stresses and I do believe that when I was teaching and having to work endless hours under great stress, gardening saved me. There is a wonderful healing power in being in touch with nature and earthy reality, in pure air and with the scent of earth and plants in your nostrils, doing physical work. It restores you to the basic meaning of life.

01/03/2013 at 20:39
It's been good to share these things on the forum and to know that some of us have had breakdowns, depression, grief and whatever else and how gardening has been an instrument in healing and recovery, it's beautiful isn't it.
02/03/2013 at 05:29

A garden is the best alternative therapy! xx

02/03/2013 at 07:29
Helmsley Walled Garden in North Yorkshire is a lovely place to visit (with a smashing cafe) and is a charity providing Horticultural Therapy. This is such a wonderful cause making a huge difference to people's lives.

I recently read a doctoral thesis about three groups of pensioners. One group did their usual thing, the second formed a social club and the third formed a gardening club. As far as I remember the gardening group were the happiest, even if they were dragged unwillingly to the allotment, once there they were so glad they'd turned up.
02/03/2013 at 08:30

I'm thinking of vlunteering as a gardener at a local National Trust house. (I go away a lot so am hesitating). I should think the learning curve, the contact with plants and the earth and the social contact would all be healthful.

02/03/2013 at 09:19
An aunt of mine volunteered at national trust garden in Yorkshire, gardening grandma. She loved it. Usually a rota system is employed so you could put in dates you can make. I volunteer at a local food bank at mo.....did this with Samaritans, CAB and Victim Support over past few years......and it helps make you aware of how hard it is for people generally. Helps put things into perspective I guess
02/03/2013 at 10:17

Well done, Verdun. And you still had time to make that glorious garden! I heard someone say the other day 'Don't spend too much time thinking. Take your attention off yourself and go and help someone else.'

02/03/2013 at 10:48

Hello. The name of my pictures : See the hope!

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19223.jpg?width=350

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19224.jpg?width=350

P.S.:my tomato seedlings today-only 2 days after sowing.

02/03/2013 at 10:50

Reading all the way through this thread this morning, I found it quite sad to see how many of us have found it necessary to  find solace in our gardens  Depression and all that goes with it is so much more prevalent than I had imagined. It was, however, so uplifting to read how much being in the garden had helped everyone. 

Thank you for sharing.

email image
21 to 32 of 32 messages