London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
01/07/2014 at 21:21

Those of you who have walked around your local German discount supermarket & beamed at their gardening products & prices but shocked by the state of their plant stock.

I was so disapointed by the condition of their fruit tree's the other day that I decided to contact them and ask why they always fail to water the stock. I was told that all stores are instructed to water the plants once a day. Those instructions have never been adhered to by any of their stores we have visited.

01/07/2014 at 21:37

Tesco are no better.

The Range had tomato plants shivering  outdoors in early  May and the  hardy pansies undercover.

01/07/2014 at 21:55
I was quit tempted to ask pound stretcher if they would let me plant their left over trees on the verge infront of the store
Edd
01/07/2014 at 21:57

£££

01/07/2014 at 21:58

The same at our  local store which is not German, they either over water or don't water at all.

01/07/2014 at 22:00

I am astounded that B&Q treat their plants so badly; when I asked why they did not do better this was the reply; 'the girl who looks after the plants only comes in 2 or3 days a week' So I get to buy big plants for 50p when they think they are dying - but all they need is some water

01/07/2014 at 22:02
Yes, my gooseberries were 50p from b&q
01/07/2014 at 22:05

01/07/2014 at 22:06

50p? I was robbed! The gooseberry I got off their dead plants shelf was a quid!

My b&q has one of those lawn watering things that somehow wets everything and waters nothing.

Got a nice dead hydrangea off them for £1 last year too-hasn't  budded up yet but I did have to cut it back...

01/07/2014 at 22:09

If it is the german store with A at the start I too have been shocked at what I have seen going to waste at a couple of my local stores. There must have been over a 100 plants dying at one place, including those Bay trees trained with a twisted stem. Somebody put a lot of effort into producing them and it is disrespectful to the growers, very wasteful and atrocious PR for the company. Rant over.  

01/07/2014 at 23:39
Oh Dear!
Here we go again. The Dutch people are very nice in all aspects. OK perhaps this thread is not directed at the Dutch, but Germany. Trust me. Most european countries obtain their plant stocks from Holland. As I have probably quoted before. Most of our better known british based nurseries etc, are in fact owned or partly owned by the giants of Holland. The Dutch are very fortunate when it comes to horticulture. Yes, they are amongst the lowlands of Europe, but they enjoy so much of the good weather. Then there is the space vs population. Greenhouses etc are perhaps more widespread than housing estates are are here in GB. There is also a special if not a basic attitude. Britain is on it's own in many respects in certain areas. Here. We have many of the greates brains and means of technology. However, just as I am doing at this moment. We waffle on and on. Other countries come up with and idea and go ahead with it. The Dutch took advantage here. A boom suddenly hit Britain. Greenhouses were going up everywhere. Then the slump. Fuel cost. Tour around our beautiful countryside. Look at all those derilect glasshouses. The Dutch moved in and acted like heaven sent saviours. Just a guess. You or I pop down to the local supermarket, or garden center. We might pay anything from 99p per plant to several pounds per tree or shrub. That establishment where you are buying from. 99p each to you. The shop probably paid about that for 100 plants. Couple that up to todays employment. You might have as your check out member of staff at Sainsbury's a uni graduate. That is how bad things are. So when it comes down to the humble yet majestic plant. Who cares?
02/07/2014 at 05:59

Our local Aldi had about six trolleys of various plants outside the front of the store that were all were desperate for a drink - I bought four hanging baskets, two tomatoes and two strawberries for little money.

Some bloke there commented that he'd mentioned to a staff member that all the plants needed a drink and he was told ''we're not allowed to water them due to H&S regulations as somebody might slip on the wet floor''

Wonder what they do when it rains and the floor gets wet.......

02/07/2014 at 06:49
My local green grocer gave me a poorly hydranga for nothing! Cant beat local, independent stores eh!
02/07/2014 at 11:29

My local green grocer wont even give me a good morning! I'd sure like to beat a little politeness into him if we can't be anything else!

My local German supermarket store are really good with their plants - they last for ages on display. Not good for those of us hoping to grab a bargain!

02/07/2014 at 11:35

Clari  Feisty this morning?

02/07/2014 at 11:45

Barely awake would be more appropriate I think Lesley; my grammar is appalling! I do prefer to support local and independent where I can but that doesn't mean they're always the best and can't be beaten.

My local Homebase is slowly filling my garden with fruit and veg from their discount sin bin. Its not perhaps the most ideal place to shop from and I'm sure my local nursery if they could clear all the tat so you can even see the plants would much rather my money but I haven't got much of it to splash around and a bargain is a bargain! Even if it needs some TLC and water.

02/07/2014 at 11:56

I have had lots of good bargains from the discount supermarkets but find that they are usually best on the first day.   They can all be hit and miss so I have to go quite often

02/07/2014 at 12:02

Lesley. I find that with Homebase. You'd not believe the amount of times I "nip in" on my way past "just in case".

Perhaps its a good job all the local independent type places are closed on my way home I'd not be back before night fall!

02/07/2014 at 13:46

I have had some real bargains from a small independent  local shop that combine garden centre with cheap hardware, tools and locally brewed beers. A winning combination.

02/07/2014 at 14:21
Ive had to stop going to the bargain bit so much because i felt sorry for all the plants and kept buying them, cant tell you how many scraggy orchids ive got! Maybe its maternal instinct or something- anyone want a scraggy orchid?
1 to 20 of 26 messages